Minikube on Fedora 33

I’m taking a class shortly on Tekton pipelines which requires installation of Minikube. I’ve gone through the instructions here, trying to use the podman driver, but I can’t get Minikube to start…has anyone got this to work? If so, what advice can you give?

minikube v1.14.2:
minikube start --container-runtime=cri-o --cpus=2 --cri-socket=/var/run/crio/crio.sock --driver=podman --force-systemd=true --interactive=true --kubernetes-version=latest --memory='4g' --network-plugin=cni

Results in:
StartHost failed, but will try again: ...
Restarting existing podman container for "minikube" ...
Failed to start podman container. Runing "minikube delete" may fix it: ...
Error: error inspecting object: no such container minikube

I’ve tried running “minikube delete”, but nothing ever changes! What is the secret to running minikube on Fedora 33?

2 Likes

If minikube fails, can you try with CRC (code ready containers ) ?
It is the same kind of mini-kubernetes setup as Minikube, but based on OpenShift.
I don’t see any reason why the Tekton Pipelines courses would not work on OpenShift, since Openshift is just kubernetes++ :slight_smile:

Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that, but AFAIK OpenShift isn’t ready yet for cgroupsv2 either. This issue seems to indicate there are other unresolved problems with running it under Fedora 33 as well. Unless you mean their cloud offering which you can use for an hour at a time. That is a possibility, but the class did document minikube specifically, with Kubernetes 1.19. I haven’t looked at OpenShift in a year, but at the time, v4.x seemed to be significantly behind in Kubernetes releases. If I can’t get minikube running on Fedora 33 I will keep this in my back pocket as an option, but it probably is not a good one, I think I’d be better off running the class on an old MacBook air that at least can run the minikube/kubernetes with the right version!

Still looking for a Fedora 33 solution, though.

I actually meant here to use crc, not the cloud offering.

CRC runs an openshift mini install in a VM, a bit heavy hand, but works well :slight_smile: I had a look at the issue you mentioned, a workaround is discussed for the DNS problem in the issue itself.

Openshift has new releases every three month and is tracking Kubernetes releases very closely. For instance latest Kubernetes 1.19 is in latest openshift 4.6

I use minikube in Fedora with the kvm2 machine type with zero problems. Please, note that the podman backend is marked as experimental:

jorti, thank you, but the machine I am trying to run minikube in is itself a VM, will the kvm2 machine type work with this configuration? When I try I get:

Exiting due to PROVIDER_KVM2_NOT_FOUND: The 'kvm2' provider was not found: exec: "virsh": executable file not found in $PATH

I realize the podman driver is marked experimental, but what other option is there with cgroupsv2 under Fedora 33? moby-engine?

manue, thank you, but the machine I am trying to run minikube in is itself a VM, doesn’t crc require a physical server?

Well, as an alternative you can use nested virtualization. I think nowadays it’s enabled by default, you can check with:

# Intel:
cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested

# AMD:
cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested

Then, from the physical host edit the VM:

# virsh edit vm-name

And modify the vCPU to have all the flags of the physical CPU, including virtualization support:

<cpu mode='host-passthrough'/>

Also, don’t forget to install libvirt in the VM and enable the service:

# systemctl enable --now libvirtd.socket libvirtd.service
2 Likes

yes crc requires to be run on directly on the host system. host system can be windows, linux, mac.

We are running minikube on Fedora in mbbox project. This is using vagrant, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to run it on anything newer than F30. I tried to run it on F32 VM at that time, but failed.

You can look at our deployment here.

jortli - yes, nested virtualization works! Thank you for the pointers. I would have loved to have used the podman driver, but I’ll take any working minikube for now. Thank you so much for your help.