Mindshare election: Interview with Till Maas (till)

Originally published at: Mindshare election: Interview with Till Maas (till) – Fedora Community Blog

This is a part of the Mindshare Elections Interviews series. Voting is open to all Fedora contributors. The voting period starts on Friday, 26 November and closes promptly at 23:59:59 UTC on Thursday, 9 December 2021.

Interview with Till Maas (he/him/his)

• Fedora Account: till
  • IRC: tyll (found in #fedora-devel,#fedora-mindshare,#nm,#nmstate,#fedora-de and others)
  • Fedora User Wiki Page

Questions

What is your background in Fedora? What have you worked on and what are you doing now?

Currently, I am serving in the Mindshare committee. I participated in many areas of Fedora, here are my milestones:

• 2020: Elected into Mindshare
  • 2020: Mentored as part of Fedora’s Google Summer of Code participation
  • 2019: Re-elected into Council
  • 2018: Elected into Council, re-elected into FESCo
  • 2017: Elected into FESCo
  • 2014: Started to represent Fedora as Ambassador
  • 2013: Fedora Infrastructure Apprentice & Release Engineer: Pushing (semi-)automation across relase engineering tasks for package cleanup, Rawhide signing and adopting HTTP Strict Transport Security for Fedora services
  • 2010: Rapidly increased Fedora package QA feedback (karma) by implementing Fedora Easy Karma
  • 2010: Initial assistance for Fedora Release Engineering handling buildroot overrides, contributions to Package DB
  • 2009: Sponsor and Provenpackager, implemented and operated upstream release monitoring (until 2015)
  • 2006: Fedora packager
  • 2005: Switched to Fedora

Please elaborate on the personal “Why” which motivates you to be a candidate for Mindshare.

There is a lack of candidates for Fedora’s elections. To give more meaning to the election, I stepped up allow the community to have a choice and to give a more clear and supporting mandate to the winner. I am a Fedora Ambassador and enjoyed representing Fedora at events in the past to get in contact with the community.

How would you improve Mindshare Committee visibility and awareness in the Fedora community?

One approach that I like to ensure that something important is moving forward is to give it regular attention. So to work on this inside the Mindshare committee, I would make it a repeating topic for each week and ask all members to do one thing to improve it each week – it can be something simple like a short post to social media, on a blog or replying to some discussion that has some relevance to it or moving a longer idea a little bit forward.

What would you like to contribute to the Mindshare Committee during your term?

I would like to contribute my perspective to contribute to a better quality of the commitee’s output.