Making Firefox save its config

I recently needed to upgrade Firefox on an old Fedora that I can’t upgrade right now for reasons that don’t matter here. Instead, I downloaded and installed Firefox 123.0 and ended up with it in my home folder as that’s the way the installer works. After a little experimenting, I managed to get the existing icon to point to it, but every time I close it and restart, I have to configure it from scratch, including its bookmarks. How can I make it store its config in the same place that the old version did, so that I don’t have to keep configuring it and when I do get it upgraded the version installed in /usr/bin will have access to an up to date config? And yes, I know that before I install the new version of Fedora I’ll need to adjust the launcher again.

What installer? The tarball from Mozilla doesn’t have an installer; you just use it in-place. In any case, I don’t know why Firefox isn’t saving to a profile. How exactly are you running it? Can you try running it directly in a terminal (with all other instances closed), and see what output you get? If you close and launch it in the terminal again, was everything lost?

For your broader goal of running a new Firefox on an old system, I’d suggest using flatpak. By default, it will use a profile in ~/.var/app/org.mozilla.firefox/.mozilla, but it should definitely persist. Also, you won’t have to do anything special to make it appear in the menus.

1 Like

I used the one from Mozilla. There was a script (I think.) that I had to run to set it up, but it didn’t update the launcher. I managed to get that done, but the first few times I exited, it lost all of my config so I’ve just left it running. Will probably try closing and restarting it tomorrow. No, I’m not going to use a flatpack because I can’t see any value in them. It looks like my version is supposed to be storing things in ~/.mozilla/firefox/jfi7ktlz.default and ~/.var doesn’t exist.

1 Like

The value being in this case that it would work ootb since the stack of supporting software and libraries are included with it’s install. Not to mention codecs for media streaming.

1 Like

The binary uses mozillas .mozilla directory as it is not a flatpak. You seem to have no flatpaks installed.

Such an install script likely just places the desktop entry to ~/.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop, pointing to the firefox binary in the Exec= line.

That is correct; I have no flatpacks installed and don’t expect to be installing any. I don’t have the file you list, but I do have ~/.local/share/applications/userapp-Firefox-RANMJ2.desktopthat points to the binary and has the line NoDisplay=true.

File a bug on bugzilla.mozilla.org then. That entry is strange. Meanwhile give it a normal name and remove the nodisplay line to fix it.

That .desktop file isn’t part of my desktop and isn’t used. I took the existing launcher and edited it so that it does work, except for not remembering its config, so why bother?

The existing file is likely in /usr/share/applications and you shouldnt edit that.

No idea, so you created this file? Why is it there?

Just create a firefox.desktop file containing

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Firefox
Icon=firefox # or /path/to/icon.png
Exec=/path/to/firefox/firefox

In your user app entry dir, ~/.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop where that belongs.

okay then help yourself dude. I dont understand why you would ask a question and then harass people helping you, while you have something weird going on and I just gave you the solution for your problem (I ran the Firefox binary and also build it myself.)

Let’s just say that your suggestion completely ignored things I’d already explained and/or contradicted them. More would probably get me another slap on the wrist.

You had a hidden desktop entry

Yes, the new version of Firefox included a desktop entry that wasn’t on the desktop and I never used, so that editing it would have no effect.

Because this topic seems to no longer develop in a constructive way and to prevent this from becoming more hostile, I close it.

1 Like