M1 Mac Mini: M1n1 has been updated, boots to 'the root account is locked'

I have just installed m1n1, it appeared to install successfully, upon rebooting I get the following error.

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.
Press Enter to continue.

pressing enter does nothing.
ctrl-alt-del will reboot ok and rebooting into MacOS still works.

Added boot

I get the same sometimes on my m1 Macbook Pro.
I have to force shutdown and try again.
Somtimes it boots ok, sometimes not.
It can be connected to my ybikey. I dont know.

Is there any obvious error message before the prompt? If not disabling the boot splash might show what wrong:

grubby --update-kernel=ALL --remove-args="quiet rhgb"

Will do that. Another option would be to set a root password and debug the issue when it happens again.

This is probably not related to the yubikey. U-boot ignores the emulated keyboard from yubikeys. It will only come available when linux boots and shouldn’t have any influence on the boot process then.

Yes it does look like it is not related to the m1n1 update. I will investigate other options and report back.

Thanks! I will disable boot splash.
Good to know it is not my yubikey. I have had this problem a long time, long before the m1n1 update.
It freezes with the fedora boot logo and the spinning wheel under stops. after about 30-60 sek the described error come. Sometimes I get a grey screen with 3 dots before the error come.

grubby --update-kernel=ALL -remove-args=“quiet rhgb”
grubby: invalid option – ‘r’
grubby: invalid option – ‘e’
grubby: invalid option – ‘m’
grubby: invalid option – ‘o’
grubby: invalid option – ‘v’
grubby: invalid option – ‘e’
grubby: invalid option – ‘-’
grubby: invalid option – ‘a’
grubby: invalid option – ‘r’
grubby: invalid option – ‘g’
grubby: invalid option – ‘s’
grubby: invalid option – ‘=’
grubby: invalid option – ‘q’
grubby: invalid option – 'u

Do I have to sudo?

yes, there was also a - missing in --remove-args, (now fixed in my post)

1 Like

I am no expert.
This is what I get after boot spash is turned off.
It just hangs at this point and I have to force shutdown. Next boot is fine.

The issue is the SError with ESR 0xbc000000 or 0xbe000000 (hard to read, doesn’t make much of a difference). This is usually a indication of power sequence issue. possibly related to probing the SD card driver.

I totalt forgot about my permanent sd card.
Transcend JetDrive
I will remove it and see if the problem goes away.

I should chime in to say that I occasionally get the same SError kernel panics at boot right after sdhci_pci too (I don’t use the SD card slot in my M1 Mac Studio). After a reboot (or two), it boots fine. I don’t remember when it started, but it wasn’t too long ago. I only reboot after installing new kernels anyways (my system runs 24x7 otherwise), so it’s an incredibly minor thing on my end.

EDIT: It was definitely the sdhci_pci module. I blacklisted it in /etc/modprobe.d/ so that it isn’t loaded at boot time and haven’t had an SError kernel panic over the dozen reboots since. Of course, this won’t help you if you need to use the SD card slot, but since I never use it, disabling it was a good way to solve that issue).