Low Battery life on Asus ROG Strix 731

Hello bro! I have a machine very similar to yours: Asus ROG Strix Scar III G731GU-EV044, I have installed F35 and I am fascinated with how beautiful it runs, but it is consuming a lot of battery, with win 10 the autonomy of my battery is approximately 2h, with Fedora it is 1h. I thought it was the nvidia driver and reinstalled F35 and left the default driver NV168 / Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) and the problem continues… Do you have any idea?

I see that the fancooler for whatever reason seeks to activate and then returns to normal mode.

The fan is controlled by bios and is based on GPU/CPU temperatures. When needed it speeds up then slows down as the bios is programmed for it to do.

The nvidia GPU is only one item that demands power. I installed lm_sensors and gkrellm so I can monitor temps and fan speeds, as well as CPU and system load. Without details it is impossible to even speculate on your battery life.

Thanks for the response bro, What information do you need to see if you can help me?

First install the packages I named, then follow the steps to configure lm_sensors so it can see the sensors that are available and configure gkrellm to display what is available that you want to see.

After monitoring some time then some potentially useful info could be gotten from the averages shown for temps (cpu & gpu), cpu load, fan speeds, etc.

Couple that with the output of inxi -Fzxx and we may have a starting point for analysis.

This may seem like I am asking a lot, but I am not in control of your machine so the info is needed for a start point.

I already put all your instructions in motion, already installed lm_sensors, already configured it and I already had the first output. I installed gkrellm and am configuring it, studying it. I’ll keep you informed. Thank you ser!

Ser, I already have everything, how do you want me to send you the data?

If you wish to continue trying to identify if there is an actual issue with battery life then the info I mentioned above should be posted here. Someone may have suggestions that help.

Now I understand how the mechanics work here. Thanks.

It is a give and take of info. This is a community so many people look at your issue and offer assistance if they can.

When you have a problem and ask for help you provide info about the situation.
We look at what you posted and if enough info is there we make suggestions. If we need more info we ask for it.
You post the requested info.
rinse and repeat until the solution is found.

HTH!

2 Likes

Hello community, I have a problem with the duration of my battery, I detail a little the context of consumption:
The autonomy of my battery in Win 10 is approximately 2h30m with Fedora it is 1h. Only in 16 min in sleep state it consumed 3%.

Attached some consumption metrics.

Thanks for the info. The pic for gkrellm is fine. The rest of the info should be copied and pasted into the post as text. Screenshots are sometimes hard to read and always impossible to reference specific lines in follow on texts.

The text should be posted in the </> preformatted text tags available on the top bar of your screen when entering the data for the post so it retains the exact same formatting as you see on your screen. Copy by highlighting with the mouse then a right click to select copy and the same for paste.

With that said, having a 3% drop in battery in 16 minutes when “sleeping” tells me it is not actually sleeping.

We need to work out why it is not sleeping properly for you as part of the issue with power.

I do not see any info about fans or CPU temp. Did you run sudo sensors-detect -a after installing lm_sensors? I have the same exact system as you but mine is about 3 months older according to the date in inxi.

I see this in inxi so I wonder if sensors_detect was properly run.

Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 74.0 C pch: 57.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 51 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 5400

BTW, your system is not a Dell which is what this thread was started for, so I am moving this discussion to a new thread

@isudoajl you do not have to make you the work for a partial print screen shot. If you copy and paste the output as </> Preformatted text, it is perfectly readable for us and you save a lot of work.

1 Like

Thanks for teaching me regarding the screenshots.

inxi output:

[isudoajl@rog ~]$ inxi -Fzxx
System:
  Kernel: 5.16.18-200.fc35.x86_64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 2.37-10.fc35 Desktop: GNOME 41.4 tk: GTK 3.24.31 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM
    Distro: Fedora release 35 (Thirty Five)
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ROG Strix G731GU_G731GU v: 1.0
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G731GU v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: G731GU.312 date: 02/19/2021
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 24.7 Wh (54.4%) condition: 45.4/66.0 Wh (68.8%)
    volts: 15.7 min: 15.7 model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery serial: N/A
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse B330/M330/M331
    serial: <filter> charge: 55% (should be ignored) status: Discharging
CPU:
  Info: 6-core model: Intel Core i7-9750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Coffee Lake rev: A cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 1.5 MiB L3: 12 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/4500 cores: 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800
    4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800
    bogomips: 62399
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: eDP-1 empty: none bus-ID: 00:02.0
    chip-ID: 8086:3e9b
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: nvidia v: 510.60.02 pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8 ports:
    active: none empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2191
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.14 compositor: gnome-shell driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa alternate: nv
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :1 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: AU Optronics res: 1920x1080 dpi: 128
    diag: 438mm (17.3")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a348
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 8
    bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:1aeb
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.16.18-200.fc35.x86_64 running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.49 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:14.3 chip-ID: 8086:a370
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
    port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
  IF: eno2 state: down mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel Bluetooth 9460/9560 Jefferson Peak (JfP) type: USB
    driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-14:4 chip-ID: 8087:0aaa
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: down bt-service: enabled,running
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 10.88 GiB (0.9%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital
    model: PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1002 size: 238.47 GiB speed: 15.8 Gb/s
    lanes: 2 serial: <filter> temp: 31.9 C
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LX015-1U7172 size: 931.51 GiB
    speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 54.65 GiB used: 10.84 GiB (19.8%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96 MiB used: 39.6 MiB (41.3%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 22 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  ID-2: swap-2 type: zram size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: 100
    dev: /dev/zram0
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C pch: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2300
Info:
  Processes: 363 Uptime: 43m Memory: 15.47 GiB used: 3.76 GiB (24.3%)
  Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 target: graphical.target Compilers:
  gcc: 11.2.1 Packages: note: see --pkg flatpak: 2 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.8
  running-in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.3.13

sensor ouput:

[isudoajl@rog ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +40.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +39.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +39.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 4:        +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 5:        +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

pch_cannonlake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +48.0°C  

BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0:          15.68 V  

iwlwifi_1-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +32.0°C  

asus-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
cpu_fan:     2300 RPM

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +31.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +81.8°C)
                       (crit = +85.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +39.0°C  (crit = +103.0°C)
1 Like

Hello @isudoajl,
I thought that recent Fedora Linux installs were managed by powerprofiles daemon, ie you use powerprofiles-adm or similar to administer it. The power management would be the battery manager for your laptop I would think.

Hello @jakfrost , indeed, it does come with a power profile, but it’s no use, I put Power Saver and there are no changes in battery performance.

Yeah, I found with my Asus MoBo which has wifi but is a desktop, the powerprofiles daemon was getting in the way since it saw my desktop as a laptop and would only allow balanced or power saver mode, plus it is Intel oriented so didn’t seem to care about my AMD as anything but a generic cpu. I uninstalled it and installed tuned instead for my purposes, but in your case perhaps the asusctl utility would be better suited since it’s a laptop. I think it is a part of the fedora repo already. Fedora’s power management guide (though a bit dated) is here Power Management Guide.

1 Like
sudo powertop

and… Increase battery life by turning off your dGPU. https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/how-does-wayland-chooses-which-driver-to-use-is-it-possible-to-install-nvidia-drivers-but-to-only-use-intel-nouveau/70874

I have to disagree with this suggestion.
I have exactly the same laptop and while running boinc using the dGPU at about 50% CPU load across the board (12 threads) I get about 1 hour on the battery. When in normal laptop mode and not running boinc to deliberately load the CPU but still using the dGPU full time (about 1% load) I get 3 to 4 hours. My system is set to use the nvidia dGPU as primary and never uses the intel IGP

The OP claims to only get 1 to 1.5 hours so I have to believe it is related to how much CPU load he has and not related to the use of the nvidia GPU. Heavy gaming would do that. After all the laptop is a gaming laptop. The OP has yet to tell us what he does when he gets that little battery life, though his posts of inxi show very little load and the CPU is clocked at minimum speed on both those posts.

Hello @computersavvy I have been doing some tests, I installed TLP and changed the autonomy of the battery from heaven to earth. Right now I have installed F35 from scratch again to do some evaluations, I am doing the setup on my laptop and at the same time I am looking at powertop utility to see the discharge rate, at the moment I have a discharge rate of 16W iddle: 4 tabs in firefox and 4 tabs terminal open.

I am going to proceed to install dGPU nvidia driver, I ask, is this link the correct procedure? https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/how-to-set-nvidia-as-primary-gpu-on-optimus-based-laptops/

I hope you can shed some light on the correct way to install my nvidia drivers.

Until now I have NOT installed TLP and the autonomy of the battery is excellent, I went out to do some things and the suspension state work perfectly! In fact I realized that in the old instalation the nvidia service unit is in failed state, could this have to do with the wear of my previous battery drain?

Jeff do you use TLP?

I do not use TLP and never have.

Install the nvidia drivers from the rpmfusion-nonfree-drivers-nvidia repo which is available through enabling the third party repo through the gnome-software app. Once that repo is enabled then doing sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia*510* will install all the minimally necessary drivers.

The link you posted is correct in some areas but has not been updated for a couple years.
Steps 1-4 are good (but remember you are on fedora 35, not 32)
Steps 5-7 should only include the sudo dnf install akmods-nvidia*510* step. The installation takes care of everything else in those steps.

Step 8 is important but needs clarification.

1. You should copy the file sudo cp -p /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf
  2. Then IF you want to make the nvidia gpu primary and ignore the intel IGP (I did and run that way constantly) then do the edit step.

This is what I have

$ ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
00-keyboard.conf  nvidia.conf

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf 
#This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
#Do not edit

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "nvidia"
	MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
	Driver "nvidia"
	Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
	Option "SLI" "Auto"
	Option "BaseMosaic" "on"
	Option "Primary" "yes"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "layout"
	Option "AllowNVIDIAGPUScreens"
	Option "Primary" "yes"
EndSection

You will note that I copied the file as directed, then edited it and added the Option "Primary" "yes" to both stanzas in that file. I don’t know that it is necessary in the “ServerLayout” stanza but certainly does not hurt.

That nvidia.conf file also serves to allow the nvidia GPU to control both the laptop screen and an external monitor. Without that file there are some issues when 2 monitors are in use since in some cases fedora tries to use the IGP for the laptop screen and the dGPU for the external monitor at the same time. The config in that file allows the dGPU to control both screens.

1 Like