I just went through a round of updates on my Fedora 34 workstation (with latest updates) and rebooted. My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6520 w/ Intel 82579LM Ethernet, and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless. Neither of them are working. I can’t ssh to my laptop to get the details of what was updated.
If I run rfkill list my phy0 is set to Software block: no Hardware block: yes. I have disabled the hardware switch in the BIOS.
NetworkManager keeps trying to reconnect with nothing but failure. I can’t enable the Wireless for some reason. It is enabled in the BIOS btw.
Soooo I plugged into another port on my main switch and everything worked. I think I know where the problem lies. In my 8-port gigabit switch. I’ll will be setting up more ethernet runs this week/weekend.
I would wager that the port on the switch is set to auto-negotiate speed. It is known that at times having both ends of a network connection set to auto-negotiate can cause issues as they do not always lock in the speed but can continually try to renegotiate the connection.
The fix I have often used is to configure the ports on the switch at one speed and allow the PC to connect at that speed.