Live environments in Fedora Atomic?

Having a live environment before installing a distro is a tangible benefit for users. It lets you test your hardware to make sure peripherals and wifi work before installing a distro and potentially overwriting your previous OS. It also gives you one more chance to feel out a distro before committing to an installation in the same vein as one might try a distro in a VM.

However, Fedora Atomic spins don’t have live environments. When I got my ThinkPad I had a mind to install Kinoite right away, but instead I downloaded Fedora KDE first to make sure I would have an ok experience. For people who want to test their hardware before installing an OS, you shouldn’t have to use two different ISOs to land on an atomic spin.

Originally I thought that there was something inherent to OSTree systems that didn’t allow for live environments, but @siosm told me on Mastodon that all we’re missing is someone with the will and know-how to make it happen.

What is the work that needs to be done in order for us to have a live environment in at least one of the Atomic spins? My hope is that if we can outline what the work is that someone will volunteer to contribute in that area and get some momentum going.

2 Likes

This is tracked in Silverblue Live · Issue #489 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub

2 Likes