Linux version 6.8.4-200.fc39.x86_64 takes very long time to boot

after upgrading to Linux version 6.8.4-200.fc39.x86_64, my fedora takes a long time to boot

This is the log file

UPDATE fixed

I’ve removed hgb quiet from boot parameters to see exactly the root of the issue and found that the system can’t load nvidia then tries to fallback to nouveau till it times out.

I’ve fixed the issue by installing the NVIDIA drivers from RPMFusion repository following the steps in these docs

Then signing and importing the secure boot keys by following these docs

I am experiencing the same problem. It seems to have something to do with the nouveau driver. I have a laptop with an integrated GPU and also a dedicated Nvidia GPU.

I experienced the same issue. It took about three minutes to load. Then I booted the system with the old kernel and things got better. After a couple more reboots, it automatically booted with the latest kernel and the problem disappeared.

1 Like

@hase24 @vaidotak I’ve fixed the issue check my updated post for the fix.

Thanks a lot, maybe i dont have the same problem. I never have installed nvidia-drivers before, just the default nouveau. That worked for me very well till now and I don’t want to install the nvidia driver. No kernel mods. Thanks!

Added nvidia

I’m having the same issue, after the latest kernel update I’m back on nouveau drivers instead of the Nvidia ones.
Reinstalling the Nvidia drivers did not work for me.
Booting into an older kernels fixes the issue.

have you tried to sign the secure boot keys or disable secure boot ?

1 Like

I did but got a message my system doens not support or have secure boot.
I run an old 2014 MacBook pro.

Since reinstalling fixed the issue in the OP, it sounds like you do indeed have a different issue. Please file a new topic for it.

1 Like

Do you have the error described in Akmods fails to compile 470xx module on kernel 6.8.4-200 and RPMFusion BugZilla Issue 6904?

1 Like

I have the same Nvidia driver (470xx), but I don’t fully understand the thread.
Is he trying to build the driver?

I did these commands, didn’t get any error, but I keep falling back to nouveau.

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-470xx akmod-nvidia-470xx
sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-470xx-cuda

The driver comes as source (blame the lawyers). Here, on an old iMac, I need nvidia-470xx and wl modules, so akmods uses the source rpms:

% ls /usr/src/akmods
nvidia-470xx-kmod-470.223.02-2.fc39.src.rpm
nvidia-470xx-kmod.latest@
wl-kmod-6.30.223.271-49.fc39.src.rpm
wl-kmod.latest@

Try sudo akmods --force --kernels 6.8.4-200.fc39.x86_64 which is supposed to compile the nvidia-470xx module. If the build fails, compare the error message at the end of the log file with the output from the “akmods fails to compile” thread to determine if you have the same problem.

1 Like

The new kernel 6.8.5 solved the slow-boot-problem for me.

2 Likes

Just run this command?

Yes. If it fails (as it does for my Late 2013 iMac) it will mention the location of the log. Compare the last few lines of the log with those in the bugzilla report (and note that the bug report has: “Assignee: Nobody is listening”). Others who use the 470xx driver have installed it directly from Nvidia.

1 Like