Latest Updates Required for Clean Install

I have been a User of Windows for Many Years.
And like many others, it’s always nice to Download The Latest Version/Build when Performing a Clean Install.
In fact a Clean install is most beneficial when New Updates are Released .
Now that I am Trying out Fedora 40 Spins Cinnamon 1.14. I thought it would be nice to d/l the Latest Fedora Build .
However, They Don’t Appear to Upgrade and Change Their Version Number very Frequently.
From what I have observed in the past the current version number will not update and change until the next major release of the o/s.
So we are left at the hands of the developers and either accept their updates, or just not install them.
We can’t just d/l the latest build hopping that would include all the latest updates so we could do a clean install

Can you clarify what you mean by “don’t appear to upgrade and change their version number very frequenty”?

If you’re referring to the installation images, no, we don’t release updated images regularly. That’s because it is not possible for the community to regularly re-run the whole batch of tests (see the QA team’s page ) again and again. It’s really a lot of work, and it’s hard enough running them all once for the release :slight_smile:

However, there are a few ways one can install an “updated build”:

• use the netinstall/server installer—this connects to the repositories and one can get updated versions of packages directly
  • use updated isos that the community generates (but these are not official releases because they haven’t been through the whole QA cycle): Index of /pub/alt/live-respins
  • just use the release ISOs and then run an update immediately—most of us do this.

If you’re speaking about individual package updates, we have policies for them—we don’t just always update all packages to their latest versions:

2 Likes

Ankur,
Thank you for your Speedt Reply.
Your Information Has Helped Me.
To put you in the Picture, let me Explain How I Keep My Windows 10 Clean Install ISO’s Up to Date.
I Use Ntlite and Slipstream All the Latest Updates from M/S ( Microsoft ) along with All My System Hardware Drivers.
Then when m/s release new updates I can grab the last ISO, I made and Update it with the Latest Patches/updates.
That way ,a Clean install , when completed only requires a few updates to bring the system up to date.
Now with Fedora, it doesn’t seem to make any difference in Using a Copy released say 2 months ago or one say 2 days ago.
After a Clean install there are Hundreds of Updates to install .

Yes, as I said, the community only makes one set of “release images”. I am not aware of a system that allows one to update an existing iso with new patches and so on. One has to regenerate the whole image, because a few things have to be done to make it “live”, ie., to allow people to use it off the image without installing.

The options I’ve given above are what I’m aware of. The updated images are probably closest to what you’re looking for, but if you’re happy to install over the internet, the server/netinstall image is all you need to get the latest package versions.

I install on an install network and use kickstart with networking turned on so it is always going to get the latest packages. Upon first boot an attempt to update shows nothing to update.

I think I remember that using the workstation live installer does the same thing. It is only the installer application(s) it(them)selves that remain at the released version.

If microsoft distributes a single image that has all updates such that files are never overwritten with patched versions during installation that is way further ahead then they have ever been. Nowhere near linux installers though.

Back in the day (NT5 renamed MSWindows 2000) I tried to get microsoft’s network installer going. Eventually microsoft reneged on their promise to support one. More recently but still a number of years ago the microsoft update images have to be applied on top of each other until the final application of an update results in a patched system image. Updated install images included the update images. Very messy. The Sun jumpstart was way better and kickstart is way better than jumpstart.

1 Like

You could just update your system with dnf -y distro-sync and make an image of your system, and if you become really handy with your filesystem you can Snapshot/Backup as well.

Basically mounting your aforementioned image, and applying updates to it. If you get really good at it you can mount this as a virtual machine image and test within the VM or a container !

:100: