Laptop display stays blank using fedora 34 kernel 5.12, but works with 5.11

HP Probook G7, Updated to kernel 5.13.15-200, nvidia video card disabled, same thing, laptop display blank, hdmi display working.

i post the bug here if somebody want’s to add something

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2004823

Dell precision with nvidia Quadro M1000. here. All was working fine in F33 with kernel 5.12 and nvidia driver 460.. Blank laptop screen (only video from hdmi or DP) after switching to F34 + nvdiia driver 470.. Tried different configs and kernel params both with Wayland and Xorg. Got it finally working with nvidia legacy driver 390.144 + Xorg

For yours, if it was working with the 460 driver then it still should work with the 470 driver.

copying the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf is what usually solves the issue with only having the hdmi or DP ouputs functional.
It sometimes also requires editing the nvidia.conf file and adding

Option "Primary" "yes"

to that file.

I use the drivers straight from nvidia site, no fusion or other rpms. So don’t have a /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf. My xorg.conf is empty and only a 00-keyboard.conf in xorg.conf.d.
Will try the 470 driver + Primary on the next kernel update.

Using the driver directly from nvidia means you have to manually update the kernel module with every kernel update. If you uninstall that driver and install the ones from rpmfusion (which are the same except) they will already be tweaked for fedora kernels and will be automatically updated with each kernel update.

Yup I do the driver install manual. I tried the rpms (in the beginning) but found they were sometimes lagging behind. Anyway, will give them a re-try when switching to F35. My laptop is my work machine, so all is working for now and wanna keep it that way. Thxs for the advice / tips

Hello, After upgrading to kernel 5.14.9 (via dnf update) it works well. For me, the issue with Intel Graphic Card, is resolved as I can use the laptop and external screen correctly.
thanks

2 Likes

Also for me, the kernel 5.14.9-200.fc34.x86_64 solved the problem with Intel card. Thank you!

1 Like

5.14.9 fixed it for me as well. Finally! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can also confirm this issue is fixed with kernel 5.14.9 for me as well with an intel GPU.

1 Like