Kotlin programming language and Linux official repository

Why there is no Linux distro including Kotlin development tools into their official repo, neither do Intellij IDEA and Android Studio? Ubuntu uses Snapcraft as the alternative way, and most people just use sdkman. Is there some “incompatibility” between JetBrains policy and GNU/Linux policy?

Also do apps written in Kotlin will be able to be included in fedora’s repo? As far as I know an software is allowed in repo only when it can be built by the development tools from there.

Well, as you say, software must be built from source using tools already in the repos (or with a specific bootstrap exception.)

I had investigated Kotlin some time ago, but it was not something I pursued because a) it requires Java, and b) more importantly, it requires 4 versions to be installed (1.6, 1.7, 1.8, and 1.9). And I have no intention of maintaining 2 or 3 already retired versions of the JDK.

So if I understand correctly, there’s nothing wrong between JeBrains and Linux community. It’s just because no Linux distro maintains such wide range of JDK versions, right?

No, nothing wrong as such, just annoying dependencies, really.

1 Like

:+1:

There are no theoretical limitations. It’s just needs someone to step up and do the work. Is that you @kogiokka? :wink:

Let me also take this opprotunity to welcome you to the community, @kogiokka. Please do go through the posts in #start-here if you haven’t had a chance yet.

1 Like