jplie/kernel-lqx

Description

Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.

Major Features

• Zen Interactive Tuning: Tunes the kernel for responsiveness at the cost of throughput and power usage.

--- Virtual Memory Subsystem --------------------------- Mem dirty before bg writeback..: 10 % -> 20 % Mem dirty before sync writeback: 20 % -> 50 % --- Block Layer ---------------------------------------- Default MQ scheduler......: mq-deadline -> bfq --- CPU Scheduler (CFS) -------------------------------- Scheduling latency.............: 6 -> 3 ms Minimal granularity............: 0.75 -> 0.3 ms Wakeup granularity.............: 1 -> 0.5 ms CPU migration cost.............: 0.5 -> 0.25 ms Bandwidth slice size...........: 5 -> 3 ms --- CPU Scheduler (MuQSS) ------------------------------ Scheduling interval............: 6 -> 4 ms ISO task max realtime use......: 70 % -> 25 %

• MuQSS Process Scheduler: Fair process scheduler for gaming, multimedia, and real-time loads.
  • High Resolution Scheduling: High resolution timeouts and 1000Hz tick rate for precise low jitter task scheduling.
  • Preemptible tree-based hierarchical RCU: RCU implementation for real-time systems.
  • Hard Kernel Preemption: Most aggresive kernel preemption before requiring real-time patches. Guarantees responsive system under high intensity mixed workload scenarios.
  • Budget Fair Queue: Proper disk scheduler optimized for desktop usage, high throughput / low latency.
  • TCP BBR2 Congestion Control: Fast congestion control, maximizes throughput, guaranteeing higher speeds than Cubic.
  • WineSync/NTSync module available: Fast, kernel-backed syncing support driver module for Wine for faster performance. (Copr exclusive)
  • Distribution Kernel Drop-in Replacement: Proper distribution style configuration supporting broadest selection of hardware. Paravirtualization options enabled to reduce overhead under virtualization.
  • Minimal Debugging: Minimum number of debug options enabled to increase kernel throughput.
  • Binary Builds For Fedora® and Enterprise Linux*: Binary builds are produced on Copr for EPEL 8, CentOS 8 and 9 Stream, and Fedora® Linux 33, 34, 35, and Rawhide

*) Liquorix kernel is NOT based on RHCK and thus may break bug-for-bug compatibility with RHEL (for instance, kmod packages from ELRepo will NOT work, and akmod packages from RPMFusion may not be compatible with the kernel-devel of Liquorix kernel). You should not run this software on a machine that requires compatibility with RHEL.

to support the package maintainer (donations to upstream can be given here)

Installation Instructions

Fedora® Linux, EPEL 8-compatible distros, and CentOS 9 Stream:

sudo dnf copr enable rmnscnce/kernel-lqx sudo dnf in kernel-lqx # Also kernel-lqx-devel and kernel-lqx-headers if needed

Optionally, you may sign the kernel image and modules for secure boot. Follow the instructions here

Active Releases

The following unofficial repositories are provided as-is by owner of this project. Contact the owner directly for bugs or issues (IE: not bugzilla).

* Total number of packages downloaded in the last seven days.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jplie/kernel-lqx

Hello, I wanted to try out this Kernel, I’ve seen some impressive benchmarks on Flightlessmango;
I’m using Fedora Silverblue 39 and, when trying to install the kernel by removing the base one and adding the related package I get the following error.

Install: rpm-ostree override remove kernel kernel-core kernel-modules kernel-modules-extra kernel-modules-core --install kernel-lqx

Error:

error: Running %posttrans for kernel-lqx-core: bwrap(/bin/sh): Child process killed by signal 1; run `journalctl -t 'rpm-ostree(kernel-lqx-core.posttrans)'` for more information
ott 04 21:26:25 mattia-desktop rpm-ostree(kernel-lqx-core.posttrans)[127249]: Failed to chase '/boot': No such file or directory

I was getting this same error on an AMD system as well as Nvidia one with the CachyOS Kernel; It likely has to do with the new Unified Core transition undergone in Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite 39.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever tested this on Silverblue; If you have any idea on how to fix it I would be very glad to test it out :slight_smile:.

EDIT:

Kernel Vanilla seems to work just fine so, maybe, it has to do with the naming system. Previously, when the name of a package to override was different from the original, you could remove and install instead of replacing. I wonder if the new, safer, version has issues with this specific workaround.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but it should be fixed now in the latest build. So you can try after kernel will be built on copr

I’m having the same issue/error on Fedora Kinoite 39.