It's time to update the main Fedora website!

That’s why someone needs to tell the Website team that rebuilding everything in JS/Webpack/React[or]Angular is not going to be sustainable.

Having one system in place (Styleguide for web components kind of thing) can help to decide on how to build all of the sites consistent with one look and feel.
Should I open the issue on this, maybe there allready is one?
The one that I know works with html is https://fractal.build/ but if Websites are going to be build with html-in-js there are countless other.

Hi @ojn,

Rolling back into the discussion that we had on our #fedora-websites IRC channel, as much as it would be great for you to open up a ticket under our Pagure namespace, I would suggest you join us in our weekly meet, which happens every Tuesday to propose this, first-hand.

We have had a conversation on the probable frontend JS frameworks to make use of in our last meeting, but that mostly depends on the implications that we get from the design team (for the most parts). Simply put, if the application is simple, we might just get away with not using one at all but one of the key challenges that we face is with doing away the non-uniform look and feel of all the apps that we maintain.

2 Likes

Definitely, for a current example look at ask.fp.o and discussion.fp.o

1 Like

It isn’t necessarily a bad thing to have contributors and the rest of the community starting off at the same point. The current page offers the Magazine as fore material, with periphery links, and it is showing it’s age when you look around at what’s new. But it starts us all in the same place irrespective of personal ID. I would like that start page, which I usually use as my browser’s home, to be even simpler in appearance than it is now.
Related, but on a detail, where does the Magazine fall in as stakeholder, I assume it is.

1 Like

As someone that was involved with the 2019 redo of getfedora.org, it is a little disappointing that this effort is labelled a “minor refresh”.

While not a major rethink of all the Fedora Websites, the amount of work and effort in 2019 that went into implementing @duffy 's new design, and work on the generation backend to make it easier to update and maintain – being labelled as a minor refresh a year or so later is a little bit sad for the soul TBH.

6 Likes

Sorry Ryan, I didn’t mean to diminish the effort that went into that. I know under the hood it’s very different and I appreciate all of the work that people took to get it there. I really just meant that it was following the same concepts, and not that major rethink.

3 Likes

The visuals were created completely new for the 2019 revamp and are not 7 yrs old either -

But yeh its a brochure style site. However, it was designed with expansion in mind (along the lines of what we’d discussed.)

4 Likes

Do we have any resident SEO experts around?

1 Like

I talked to some from Red Hat’s web team several years ago – I’m sure they’d be happy to talk to us again as we go through this.

2 Likes

Great idea! Whenever I’m getting someone new started I end up giving them a list of URLs each with an explanation of what’s there. Yes, they figure it out, but it doesn’t flow smoothly. It would be nice if there was a path from the new front door for new people who are past the “hello world” phase of getting started to help them find things like Ask, Discussion, Planet, and Blog.

3 Likes

as this is happening I am hoping that link to the Updated respins can be included as well

4 Likes

I’d want to point out that having a dark mode would be nice.

I would like to volunteer to help with the design, since I am someone that takes design very seriously. However, I’m a bit limited in time, but I would still love to contribute!

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: A note on “discussion.fedoraproject.org” URLs in posts

+1 for dark mode which should also preferably be automatically set via the CSS prefers-color-scheme property.

3 Likes

Yep, besides that, other Fedora Project websites are pretty fragmented.

1 Like

Is there a preview or something? If not, is there a place we can get started?

2 Likes

What if we started using the fedoralinux.org domain more widely? That could clarify the current situation a lot.

4 Likes

@mattdm @bcotton

Folks are coming back from holiday vacation still — please hold off on pings. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but let’s please also temper it with some patience. :slight_smile:

The key places to follow are:

Update on this project?

1 Like