Issue with keyboard backlight (Asus laptop)

Hello! I’m using Fedora 33 on my new Asus G14 laptop. I am dual-booting with a Windows partition for gaming and a Fedora partition for work. My issue is that I can’t figure out how to control the keyboard backlight in Fedora. It seems to be somewhat random whether the backlight is on or off when I boot up Fedora, and from that point I can’t control the brightness. My main goal is just to disable the light.

Here’s the output of a few terminal commands. The keyboard backlight is on as I type these. Any ideas or points of advice for troubleshooting this are very welcome! Sorry, I don’t really know what I’m doing!

$ ls /sys/class/leds

asus-wireless::airplane  input5::numlock     input6::kana
input5::capslock         input5::scrolllock  input6::numlock
input5::compose          input6::capslock    input6::scrolllock
input5::kana             input6::compose     phy0-led

I use the light package to adjust the screen backlight; I have keys mapped to raise or lower the brightness using the GNOME keymap settings.

$ light -L

Listing device targets:
        sysfs/backlight/amdgpu_bl0
        sysfs/backlight/auto
        sysfs/leds/input6::numlock
        sysfs/leds/input6::kana
        sysfs/leds/phy0-led
        sysfs/leds/input5::compose
        sysfs/leds/asus-wireless::airplane
        sysfs/leds/input6::scrolllock
        sysfs/leds/input6::compose
        sysfs/leds/input5::capslock
        sysfs/leds/input5::scrolllock
        sysfs/leds/input5::numlock
        sysfs/leds/input5::kana
        sysfs/leds/input6::capslock
        util/test/dryrun

In case anyone finds this… I found the answer here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_GA401I.

Patching the kernel using just the keyboard patch mentioned on that site works well. Keyboard backlight and all function keys work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.