Is there a way of hiding .part download files?

I’m using Fedora Kinoite 41 Rawhide.

I’d like to know if there’s a way of hiding those .part files that appears during downloads, because they make the complete files disorganized on my desktop.

Preferably only for the desktop, not Dolphin, because otherwise canceled/corrupt downloads would accumulate.

Hide hidden files?

You mean that they were not supposed to be showing in the first place?

depends on your settings. I am not familiar with KDE, but on my Gnome desktops (Nautilus file manager) I just hit CTRL+h to toggle the “Show hidden files” setting.

1 Like

Why are you storing your files on the desktop? Just a curiosity question, not judging.

I forget about them if I store in Downloads and don’t have an immediate use.

1 Like

There are a couple of tools available for organizing files in particular folders (like Downloads) and moving them to appropriate folders to better organize them in your system. One such is aptly named organize-tool, it can be found at GitHub - tfeldmann/organize: The file management automation tool.. It requires you to run it in the command line, and is installed via PiP (part of python).

I’ve found the option, and it’s disabled by default. “[ ] Mostrar arquivos ocultos”

It shows the .part file anyway.

I’ve decided to file an issue regarding this.
I don’t think that .part is being considered a hidden file.
And I don’t think it’s intentional.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=484164

I think you are correct that it is not a hidden file. Those file names usually begin with a ‘.’

However, I do believe it is intentional. The app in use decides how to name the partially downloaded file and that app does not seem to hide the file that is being downloaded, but rather show it is only partial with the .part extension. In most cases downloaded files would not be downloaded to a desktop (and would not disrupt the desktop display) since by design (and by usage of the great majority of users on all OSes) that is the purpose of the ‘Downloads’ directory.

1 Like

Yes, if such files should be hidden, they would get a “.” In front (btw an old ls bug that became a feature and even a standard)

It is useful to see the size of the .part file if you know the file size you want.