Is it still okay to use virt-manager?

I have been using it for almost 5 years and I really like this piece of software, but I have seen at some place online that I should use cockpit instead and that virt-manager is deprecated.

I just installed and tried cockpit and ran into a couple of problems. One is that the ‘launch remote viewer’ doesn’t work even if virt-viewer is installed on my setup. My VMs were all created with virt-manager. Maybe that’s the reason. Also, to be honest, I prefer a local client over a web-based solution to manage my local and remote VMs.

I also checked the virt-manager github and there are still some recent commits, but the latest release is from 2 years ago.

Anyway, I’m curious to read your thoughts on this.

1 Like

I’m using virt-manager for several years already for Windows VM (needed for my contract work) and for testing various Linux distros. I tried cockpit and Boxes, but only virt-manager is stable enough for serious work when a desktop OS is required. Boxes sometimes changes the VM’s XML file in some strange ways, which breaks some specific settings of VMs.
I plan to use virt-manager as long as it is available in Fedora’s repo.

2 Likes

See this article which was written to clear up this confusion:

https://blog.wikichoon.com/2020/06/virt-manager-deprecated-in-rhel.html

From that article:

TL;DR: I’m the primary author of virt-manager. virt-manager is deprecated in RHEL8 in favor of cockpit, but ONLY in RHEL8 and future RHEL releases. The upstream project virt-manager is still maintained and is still relevant for other distros.

6 Likes

That’s great to hear. I am very happy with virt-manager. It has always done the job well for my use cases. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This brings flash backs ! I had this happen and I have not used it since.

It’ll be around in some capacity forever, It’s just a frontend.