Is it possible to sign rEFInd to work with Secure Boot enabled?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using rEFInd as my boot manager on Nobara 40 and it seems that rEFInd is not signed by default, which prevents it from working with Secure Boot enabled.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to sign rEFInd to make it compatible with Secure Boot? If so, could you provide a step-by-step guide on how to do this? I would also like to know if there are any risks or considerations I should be aware of before proceeding with this process.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The rEFInd web site has a page on Secure Boot.
https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/secureboot.html

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Note that Nobara is not Fedora and most questions on that OS should be asked of their support channels.

1 Like

Added nobara, secure-boot

Added refind

Nobara just has discord, which is proprietary, has bad Linux support and is a grave for information.

I think we should do an exception on Nobara until they have a real forum

Also, rEFInd is general stuff, not Nobara specific

Nobara is not going to have a Forum anytime soon. GE has said on many occasions he made the distro for him and his dad.

The Discord was bombarded with support questions from new users eventually harassing the community. GE has stated publicly,

I was a part of their community early on during the Proton-GE.3-7.xx days testing games and playing with the community. They are intermediate to advanced user of Linux testing software for proton and other things. There are a ton of changes and patches to the kernel and rebased packages they need to do on a monthly cadence.

I think its tough to field questions on Nobara considering all that is involved. It’s akin to going to the Debian forums asking for help on Pop!_OS or Ubuntu, Solus or Mint. It’s too much.

Also to note, Mentions of Nobara on some Fedora Matrix/Element channels is prohibited for some reason?

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with this sentiment.

At one point nobara was using systemd-boot with their installation then they switched back to grub. Only users would have known off hand of that change.

The large amount of changes they make, and using their own modified kernel make it difficult to provide support since the OS is downstream of fedora and heavily modified.

If GE wishes to distribute his product, more power to him. It is then incumbent upon him to provide support for those who use his product.

Even the recent thread here where one user wanted to triple boot windows & fedora & nobara was really stretching it in my opinion, though I did assist in trouble shooting and suggesting a fix. The problem there was grub + efi and is similar to the problems seen in trying to dual boot any of the ubuntu variants – it consisted of dual booting fedora + a variant with grub.

Sorry for asking the question here, I thought that since Nobara was a modified version of Fedora I could ask the question here. Anyway, thanks for the information.

3 Likes

I think post # 2 is the best advice we may be able to provide.

I think it is fair to ask all questions that also apply to regular Fedora. I do the same with uBlue Kinoite, while I also use the main images which are very close to Fedora.

I am in the process of writing a “how we moderate” guide draft, where we can discuss things like this.