Is it possible to have the ESP on an sdcard?

@vekruse

This reply of yours on another post seems better addressed here as it seems to be tangent to the OP question.

Not too many fedora versions ago there were more symlinks in /boot beyond symvers. It was at that time that I played around with the XBOOTLDR partition. vfat does not support symlinks and I was attempting to have fedora utilities all still work. Having XBOOTLDR as an ext2 allowed for symlinks. To get UEFI to use it required adding an ext2 efi driver in the ESP. All worked using kickstart, custom configuration and custom scripts.

The grub2-efi-x64 package does not have many files and they are all that is needed in ESP and XBOOTLOADER. systemd-boot-unsigned is similar in what gets places in the ESP and XBOOTLOADER.

sd-boot works just fine in this scenario with secure boot turned off. Once sd-boot ships signed I’d like to switch to it. Currently I am not willing to manage my own certs for this. sd-boot with uki and measured boot seems to be just around the corner.

I am ordering a new technology sdcard so I can make another attempt. I would be happy to share the work if there is any interest.