Is it easy to get videos working in firefox?

At the moment, a lot of youtube videos give me errors and videos from other sites entirely don’t work.

Is there a simple rpm-ostree package I can install to fix this?

Generally rpm-ostree install mozilla-openh264 will give you everything you need.

Thanks for the response!

I’m getting: error: Packages not found: mozilla-openh264

I’m guessing it’s to do with enabling the right repo?

I tried to follow this guide but to no avail

Install ffmpeg

It’s telling me it’s already installed

<pre>Skipping: org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full/x86_64/20.08 is already installed

Just use Firefox from Flathub. It is the official version directly from Mozilla.

4 Likes

Sorry I assumed you were using system install of Firefox which would require ffmpeg install as an overlay package from rpmfusion repo.

That’s strange. OpenH264 should be enabled by default. What image did you install this from?

To enable:

$ sudo vi /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-cisco-openh264.repo

name=Fedora $releasever openh264 (From Cisco) - $basearch
metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-cisco-openh264-$releasever&arch=$basearch
type=rpm
enabled=1 # make sure this is 1
metadata_expire=14d
repo_gpgcheck=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$releasever-$basearch
skip_if_unavailable=True

As for what others are saying, you don’t need ffmpeg for YouTube videos or most Firefox videos. I’m not even sure Firefox supports any codecs outside H264 and the included codecs (Opus, Matroska, etc.). Flatpak also works, but in my experience it can be somewhat buggy, and doesn’t have all the wayland fixes the Fedora version has ootb. YMMV however.

1 Like

That explains why it wasn’t working, I was using the system install. I enabled RPM fusion and installed ffmpeg-libs and everything’s working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this, I don’t have the file. I suspect I accidentally deleted it following a guide.

I’m running fedora silverblue 34 rawhide.

It’s working quite well now with ffmpeg-libs from RPM fusion.

Do you reckon it’s work enabling and using the open cisco codec anyway?

1 Like

I generally like to keep my silverblue systems without RPMFusion unless I absolutely need them. H264 probably overlays fewer packages as well (it is just 2) so if I were, I would try.

1 Like

Is there much (especially with commonly used media types) that you’d need RPM Fusion for to your knowledge?

Not just in the browser but also like mkvs and other video formats? (although I think having VLC might mean you don’t need them)

The VLC and Totem flatpaks should have everything you need. If you don’t have an NVIDIA driver, RPMFusion is generally not needed on SIlverblue

3 Likes

Will try removing it then and using the open codec, thank you so much for your help :grin:

Oh by the way, what would be the best way to remove the repos? Should I just do an rpm-ostree uninstall + delete them from the /etc/yum.repos.d folder?

rpm-ostree remove should be enough

1 Like

What values do I put in $releasever and $basearch

I am guessing 34 and rawhide?

You don’t need to change them. They will auto detect.

Thanks for all of that, I’ve successfully been able to remove all RPM Fusion and install open H264!

All the videos I could test worked fine :slight_smile:

I see you’re using rawhide. Unless you really want to use rawhide, I’d suggest rebasing to Fedora 34 instead. (It’s in beta right now. It was branched from rawhide in February and rawhide has been rolling on.)

It’s important to note: GNOME 40 is in Fedora 34 beta too. :wink:

Generally, I like to live life on the edge too, especially with Silverblue, as roll-backs work well… but I use the testing variants for releases and then betas (when available). Rawhide is rougher than both betas and testing (which is stable + new packages that are pending for release). It’s fine for a secondary test system or in a VM, but probably not ideal for a main workstation or laptop.

Testing has the bodhi packages that are in testing before they hit the release, so you get new stuff asap, but that also includes possible broknenness… but not as much as rawhide, usually. Rawhide is a bunch of churn of every package, so they might not even fit so well together. However, there’s been a lot of stabilization efforts over the past few years that makes rawhide much nicer than it was in the past (and this helps stabilizing releases and testing releases as well).

Right now, people have been focusing on stabilizing Fedora 34 for the masses, and since it branched from rawhide not too long ago, it’s not so different. But you will probably hit problems if you don’t rebase… especially if you overlay packages with rpm-ostree install.

Here’s how to rebase to F34 beta:

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/34/x86_64/silverblue

And, when the testing composes are available, to use those, it’s:

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/34/x86_64/silverblue/testing

(Last I checked, they’re not available. But I used testing on F33 like this and it was nice to do so. Meanwhile, if I want to pull down testing packages that swap out included packages, I select them with rpm-ostree override BODHI_URI_HERE. And then do an rpm-ostree override reset -a once in a while, after the testing versions are built into the latest composes.)

But if you like running rawhide, by all means, do.

Meanwhile, it’s probably good to note that you’re able to run any recent version of Fedora in a toolbox. So if you really want rawhide, you can run it in a toolbox too and keep your desktop itself stable. (I have toolboxes for F33, F34 beta, and rawhide. And also ones for RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu. But I work on cross-platform stuff. My main development toolbox, which I script to install the packages I need, is F34 beta right now.)

1 Like