Introducing Phyllome OS, a Fedora Remix targeting Desktop Virtualization

Article Summary:

The article aims to introduce Phyllome OS, to describe its goals, to define some upcoming challenges and to explain what was done so far, and how.

Phyllome OS, a Fedora Remix based on Fedora Server 35, is a multi-user, local-first, desktop-oriented, Linux distribution designed from the ground up to leverage hardware-assisted virtualization and paravirtualization. Its primarily goal is to make it simple to run most modern operating systems locally using off-the-shelf hardware.

Article Description:

Phyllome OS is built using kickstart snippets, or ingredients, that are put together to form a recipe. This recipe is then red by anaconda during the installation process to automatically deploy Phyllome OS, which is one possible dish.

Phyllome OS has been born in the outskirts of Paris, so I had to use a food analogy :slight_smile:

There are some potentially interesting things about Phyllome OS:

• Because it is made to host other guest operating systems, it had to be small. Fedora Workstation, which includes more than 1’500 packages by default, was too big. I had to use Fedora Server, and to install GNOME Shell on top of it. Without virtualization related packages, this trimmed down installation of Fedora GNOME Shell includes around 600 packages (still too many packages to my taste, but that is a start). This version could be useful for people that would like a small GUI-based OS.

• Weston will be offered as an alternative to GNOME Shell, to further limit the size of Phyllome OS.

If there is anything you believe should be added or removed, please feel free to tell me.

Best,

1 Like

It sounds good to me. +1 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

+1 From me, as well.

I’ve opened card #87 in Pagure for this article. The editors use the Pagure Kanban board to track the status of the articles and to communicate with the authors.

Information on writing an article is included here and here. Pay close attention to the β€œGetting access” section. You will need a Fedora account and to sign the FPCA as described there. When you have access to your card, leave a note on it and we will assign it to you.

Happy writing and if you have any questions, let us know via the card. The editors are here to help.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks for your guidelines, Richard. I believe I have done most if not of all that what was required (WordPress access is ok; red guidelines and signed the FPCA and was able to log in to Pagure.io). It seems that I can start writing! :slight_smile: