Introduce yourself!

Hey Everyone,

I’ve dabbled in all kinds of work, and have always had an affinity with all things tech - but only recently really starting getting into networking, sysadmin, Linux, and security. Now I’m teaching myself a bit of programming.

I had mainly been using Macs for a while and only used Linux on servers. I still need to use Windows for a lot of work stuff (thanks Gnome Boxes), but started daily driving Pop!_OS about a year ago. Since then I’ve tried Elementary, Arch, Qubes, and a few other distros. Now I’ve settled on Fedora, and am running it on both my work and personal laptops.

I’m really liking Fedora, and want to say thank you to the devs and everyone who make it all happen. I hope I can learn more and contribute.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m Kyle, a developer/writer and recent Fedora convert. Started tinkering with computers a couple decades back at the ripe old age of 10, then got my feet wet with Linux by dual-booting Ubuntu in college. I’m currently working on a career shift into cybersecurity.

Last month, my long-outdated desktop decided to retire itself, and I settled on making the jump to Fedora as a daily driver. Loving the experience so far! The vision and community behind the Fedora Project were major reasons for choosing this distro.

I’m looking forward to contributing writing and code once I’m oriented. Excited to learn from you all and share in building this fantastic platform!

4 Likes

Welcome everyone! Glad to have you here! Let me know if I can help you with anything to get started!

1 Like

Hey guys

I’m Abdullah and I wish to contribute to the Fedora Magazine on various topics. Looking forward to interacting with you all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello, community!

Let me introduce myself. I am Mike, an embedded firmware engineer (hard disk drives) with a long-time interest in Linux going all the way back to my college years in the early days of Linux. To be honest, I stopped using Linux after college and only in the past five years rekindled my interest. I am proficient in C++, but I love Python (although I am by no means an expert).

Fedora is the perfect distribution for me - a great balance of innovative new technologies and yet very stable. I recently switched to Silverblue for my desktop, and it is amazing.

I’m looking forward to learning and contributing to the project as time allows!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Jaap. Long time busy with Fedora. One of my first computers had floppy disks.
I do testing for updates and join test days. And try to answer some questions on Ask Fedora site.
That forum is a great school for understanding Fedora. I am a bass trombonist and bass clarinetist.

8 Likes

Hi all,

Until now, I focused on contributing to ask.fedora.

I’m Chris, living in Germany. I work with Linux since I am 12 or 13 years old. I started with SuSE but migrated to Fedora after a year or two. I think Heidelberg was my first but I don’t really remember :slight_smile: I was probably a bit paranoiod at the time. This would explain that I developed a strong interest in my Linux’s security mechanisms and everything around crypto when I was a teenager.

I originally studied international relations and for several years, I worked in related fields, although I have always kept the cyber realms in mind. Linux communities including Fedora were even part of my master thesis :slight_smile:

Before that, I worked for a few years at a company that was developing a Linux system, and since 2018 I am back, focusing Linux and security engineering and some pentesting-related activities. I assume my contributions in ask.fedora show my soft spot for security issues :slight_smile: As I am from different fields of study, I focus today on holistic security approaches & “socio-technical security”. My motto: isolated analyses of physical/social and information security does not mean much in today’s socio-technical societies :slight_smile:

Now I have babbled enough about myself: looking forward to future collaborations!

6 Likes

Awesome, welcome!

Heyo, everyone!

Introductory post for myself! I’m often known as Schykle online. I’ve been a Linux user for about six years now, and I’ve primarily used elementary OS for the majority of that time.

Around the release of Fedora 33, when BTRFS became the default, my attraction to Fedora grew quite a bit. I used it a lot during that time. Sometime after, I took a bit of a hiatus from Linux, and came back when Fedora 35 was releasing. New to me was the GNOME redesign, even though it had been out for a little while, but I absolutely loved it. In addition to the rock-solid nature of Fedora, as well as the inclusion of things like Pipewire, I’ve been pretty hooked.

Silverblue is my distribution of choice these days, it’s been what I used most since Fedora 35 was released, and I’m a huge fan of the immutable root filesystem concept, as well as Flatpaks and Toolbox.

Anyway, I think Linux is cool, and I’m a huge filesystem fanatic (especially BTRFS!), and I love GNOME!

Looking forward to taking part in more discussions here on the forum moving forward!

Here’s my current configuration, Silverblue 35 on my Oryx Pro 4!

8 Likes

Awesome! Welcome!

2 Likes

Howdy fellow Fedorans! Name’s Carl, migrated over to Linux this past summer with another distro down the *buntu line. When an update on my previous distro broke something, I decided I wanted to get a little deeper into the nuts and bolts of Linux and hopped onto Fedora. Have to say I’m quite pleased.

I have a bit of experience with computers, dating all the way back to my buddy’s C64 with a tape drive. Nowadays I’m still just as bad with computers, learning code as a hobby and ensuring my machine runs.

When I’m not in front of a monitor, I’m an avid cyclist and a puppy daddy. Have a background in Linguistics and passably competent in a couple languages.

Look forward to working with y’all!

4 Likes

Hi everybody, becoming more aware of this platform after noting references to this on ask. Happy to introduce myself here, I guess my first intro within the Fedora community.

I recall my first Linux use and floppy disks and CDs, SuSE and Redhat in the 1990s; 1.5 decades of Darwin followed; but since 2015 I am back in the Linux world, using Fedora since then, on laptops and desktop machines. I do not develop software, but am involved with testing some open source software that I use for my everyday research – JabRef and QualCoder.

I am social scientist, researching data infrastructures, practices and labour, and all kinds of messy socio-technical relations – specifically with an interest in so-called sustainability transitions. Offline, I engage with my kid and local community issues in Berlin, Germany.

I look forward to participating more here on discussion, and elsewhere across the distributed Fedora servers.

3 Likes

Hello everybody

This is my second introduction today, as I was writing to the #docs mailing list to try to begin contributing back with something to the open source / free software community. While I was setting up my PGP keys with pgp.mit.edu, I got to see some messages talking about the mailing list moving to here.

Perfect timing!

So here’s a bit of my background: I have been using GNU/Linux since 1998 in the university. It has always been at hand, and currently Fedora is my daily driver. The time for me to contribute back has come, and after learning about the culture at the Fedora Project, I decided to start at the documentation side of things. I think contributing to the documentation may be a good start to learn more about specific projects, and see how can I do more in the future.

In the past I had contributed to the Raspberry Pi Foundation translating some Python learning material to Spanish (Spain), as I am Spanish but living in Australia since 2017.

Looking forward to learn to be helpful, and start participating.

6 Likes

Hi,
my name is Florian, I am a family dad, Consulting Engineer, globetrotter, electronics hobbyist, and enthusiastic Fedora user - just an end-user, not a software developer.
I have acquired skills to set up and program PLCs and HMIs for industrial process automation years ago, and I love tinkering with Raspberry Pis.

I have been contributing to the Fedora Project as a translator for German (zanata and Gnome Damned Lies), as well as tiny contributions in the Docs team. Besides that, I am active in the previous and current ask forum (Profile - augenauf - Ask Fedora) supporting other end-users fix their issues with Fedora Linux.

I first got in touch with Linux around 1998 (SuSE 5 on 6 CDs in cardboard box) just for the fun of playing around with it. At university, in the early 2000s, the computer lab was equipped with Debian and KDE, as far as I remember, which was great at that time.

I discarded Win OS’ from MS on personal machines switching to only-Linux in 2006 (Ubuntu), and I am a happy Fedora user since F18 (oh gosh, time flies). To be honest, my workstation is dualboot, I run a Win10 machine to play X-Plane 11 and MSFS 2020.
Unfortunately my office machines have never been Linux machines (too much MS Office and way too much special software that doesn’t exist for GNU Linux). That’s why my laptop has a Win10 VM, which I sometimes have to use for the Win-only stuff, mainly MS Office.

My DE of choice has always been Gnome. I’ve tried a few others and I keep trying them (once a year or so) but Gnome seems to suit me best.

Some of other open source projects I love, use and follow: Volumio OS, Pi-Hole, OpenWRT, Freifunk, FreeNAS, …

What else? Thank you Fedora Community, Fedora Contributors and developers for providing the best desktop distro I know of!

6 Likes

Hi all! I believe the #docs mailing list has been moved to here, so I’m adding my quick introduction: my name is Camila Granella, I am based in Curitiba, Brazil. Currently, I am working as an Associate Manager for the Community Platform Engineering team at Red Hat, but I have started as a support technician and a technical translator. I have a couple of college degrees, one in History and the other one in Computer Systems Analysis and Development. I’ve been using Fedora on my personal laptop for ~6 years now. I would love to contribute with anything docs related, and with translations - primarily Brazilian Portuguese, but I am also comfortable with French and Spanish. Looking forward to start contributing!

7 Likes

Hello Community!!!

My name is Jason Beard, I’m a father of recently entered college student, husband, and geek. I’ve been in IT one way or another for the past 25+ years. Until my recent job change I was a Linux Administrator for 10 years.

My hobbies include video games, smoking BBQ, gardening, and any DIY project around the house. My video gaming hobby has taken a recent turn as my wife and I have started getting into the retro gaming. My desktop computer is dual boot with Fedora and the other OS I won’t talk about. I still use for a few games. I have a home lab with various computers and flavors of Linux. (Mostly RHEL based.)

Since my new job doesn’t require me to work a ton of overtime I’ve decided to see what all this open source is about. I’ve been using it for years without contributing back and I figured it was time. I may not be a programmer but I can do all kind of other things.

I look forward to contributing and learning new things. I adapt to change and I’m sure someone can find something for me to do. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome! I’m sure we can find something, indeed. If you need some ideas, we can hook you up with the Join Fedora folks to get started…

1 Like

Hello! I’m a long-time open source contributor in lots of different roles, but hadn’t been a regular Fedora user until recently… because I joined the RHEL Program Management team at Red Hat :slight_smile:

Now I’m a ‘daily driver’ user of Fedora, and of course I also want to lurk and see what is going on in the Fedora community since whatever happens there will eventually makes its way into CentOS and RHEL too.

8 Likes

Awesome — great see you here! It’s always nice to have people from the downstream product side actively participating!

Hello all!

After some time lurking I decided it is time to introduce myself. :slight_smile:

I’m Damian, I’ve been using Fedora (first spins, now Workstation) off-again-on-again since Beefy Miracle time, or at least that’s the first release I can recall.

I work in a, broadly speaking, IT field, but I have background in linguistics (Hungarian linguistics less broadly). Free time for me is either with a good book (fiction and non-fiction alike), being true to the fact that people are social animals (although the pandemic is making it harder) or rewatching the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the I-don’t-even-remember-which time. I reside in Hungary (living expat life), originally from Poland.

6 Likes