Introduce yourself!

Hi, my name is Ralf. I’m from Germany, and already posted some stuff on other Fedora channels, without introducing myself, so I assume a short introduction is appropriate.
I’m currently tinkering around with some older computers and servers, trying to build something useful. I’m enjoying the different channels that help me in building a useful infrastructure but soon realized that it will take more time that I planned.

I have some programming experience in C++ and C#, and trying to improve here, but right now, time and quietness is quite lacking, so I’m more occupied with administration. To be honest, there is more than enough to do, and if I ever will finish my work…(that’s really too far away to think about that)
I’m spending much time in reading developer books or guidelines and unfortunately the time for implementation is lacking very often, but I assume that most people know what I’m talking about.

So far, so good. I will get in touch with topics here from time to time.

Best regards,
Ralf

EDIT: By the way, I think that I don’t understand Inter-process-Communication very well, so, this would be a fantastic area for improvement. I think I have a few books where the subject is described a bit, nevertheless I would be thankful for a reading tip, especially having troubleshooting in mind.

6 Likes

My name is Gulshan, I am currently pursuing my bachelor’s degree in Information technology, currently in my first year.
The previous year I started learning to program, thanks to this lockdown, At least something good has happened to me.

Yesterday I wrote my first article on PipeWire on my blog, after a suggestion by a community member in the fedora telegram group.

Link to my blog Article on PipeWire - https://bufferoverflow.me/what-is-pipewire

Please Do check this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @dulsi ,
Perhaps you could do a magazine article about this topic, I’m sure it would get some readers attention.

1 Like

@jakfrost : I did suggest one on Open Source Game Achievements but only got the one +1 from you. I’m still interested in doing a gamin article of some kind but haven’t had a chance to put something together. Maybe focus on particular types of games (puzzle game article, twin stick shooter article, etc.).

2 Likes

Hey folks!

I am introducing mysel a bit too late :smiley: But now I am here. Some of the members of Fedora know me. My name is Andi and I’m from Germany. (FAS: andilinux)
I am a Fedora user and contributor in several Fedora teams/projects (QA, i3-spin, D&I, Fedora Podcast, AskFedora).

I am working as a Freelance (tutor/teacher, some IT stuff). One of my biggest hobbies is gaming and coding.

Welcome to all other new users here in our Fedora community! :slight_smile:

Cheers

Andi

6 Likes

Hey Andi: Nice to meet you here on the discussion board. I remember you from the ask fedora forum. I’m not very active here, at the moment I’m trying to fix the experimental features I recently adjusted in Safari, wondering myself: “What the hell is that setting for?”

I’m trying to get better in coding and have a bunch of books before me on my desk!
Happy welcome!!! :tada: :badminton: :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Ralf: Thx for welcoming me here as well :wink: Yes, we have chatted on AskFedora forum.
I hope you enjoy Fedora and our community :wink: ?
What kind of experimental feature has Safari done?

Don’t get stressed improving your coding skills etc. :slight_smile: Take your time and enjoy coding! :wink:

Happy welcome from me as well!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :wave:t3: :wave:t3: :tada: :tada: :balloon:

2 Likes

I believe I’m trying to get behind the vulnerabilities behind the webkit engine, but stumbled over some settings I wasn’t aware of. Well, since we are in community for Fedora, I don’t want to make a topic out of it. A bit stress is always useful for me, but at the moment there are a lot of things that need to be done, so I will start with that and enjoy the books afterwards.
I’m running different flavors of Fedora and a long time goal would be a running OpenShift or OKD-cluster, but I’m waiting for the possibility, as announced recently, to build a 1-node cluster, since I’m struggling to get the hardware ready to build a high available fail-over cluster.

The Fedora community is very cool, I like it very much!
Are you using Fedora mainly as a workstation with a desktop-environment?

2 Likes

Ah okay I see :slight_smile: Yea, that’s always good trying to get behind the vulnerabilities.

Which Fedora flavors are you running? OpenShift or OKD-cluster is a good long-term goal. :slight_smile:

Nice to know that you like the Fedora community.

I am using Fedora as my workstation; but I have several other flavors on GNOME Boxes due QA, test-days etc. :slight_smile:
Currently, I switched from GNOME to KDE.

2 Likes

I think XFCE is a good choice for task-oriented admins, and it saves your resources. I tried i3, but right now, I can’t see any time-savings, so I will probably not stay with it. Gnome and KDE are a perfect fit for general purposes. I don’t care so much about the desktop.

2 Likes

XFCE is rock-solid and great to use :wink:
i3-spin - yea we’re going to work and improve it step by step! If you have any ideas or feedback - you can join the i3-spin team or add your ideas on pagure i3-spin.

IMHO every user should use their desktop which fits best.

2 Likes

Hi,

my name is Rubem and i’m from Portugal. i’ve been a fedora user for almost 4years, using in a dual boot environment. Besides this i work as web developer/ sysadmin.

Cheers

5 Likes

Happy welcome Rubem. I’m using dual boot as well and it works fantastic for me. Which programming language do u prefer?

2 Likes

@ralfs in the past years i’ve worked mostly with PHP/JS/C#. I like languages like php and c#.

2 Likes

Hey Rubem,

welcome to our Fedora community :slight_smile:

v/r
Andi

1 Like

Hi, my name is Rémi Lauzier.
I am a new fedora packager since a month ago. I use fedora workstation since the fedora next project.
I love been part of the fedora community and love to participate in it. I maintain package and i help with testing new update. Really love to use fedora on my main computer and see that the testing update work like a charm.

7 Likes

Hey @remilauzier

Welcome here in our Fedora community and congrats being a new Fedora packager :wink:

v/r
Andi

2 Likes

I’ve been programming for over 40 years. I started packaging for Fedora to support the small business using CentOS that I worked for. It was a no brainer to package for Fedora, then add the EPEL packages.

My passion is decentralized networking and apps. I contributed a magazine article on this: Decentralize common apps

As an old programmer, I like the new languages (golang, rust, etc), but hate the fine grained packaging philosophy (1000s of dependencies for a non-trivial app) that makes them so hard to package for Fedora. This will improve when developers using these languages are forced to work offline, with only intermittent internet access. :slight_smile:

That is another reason I love Fedora - it is apocalypse ready (assuming you download all the SRPMs). There used to be a CD/DVD with all the SRPMS with each release. I wonder if you can order a USB stick now? I haven’t checked recently.

Packages I would like to get in Fedora, but are difficult:

• deltachat (rust - 1000s of dependencies)
  • scuttlebot (nodejs - maybe the new bundle policies will help)
  • ipfs (golang - same drill)
6 Likes

Welcome aboard. @sdgathman

Envoyé depuis ProtonMail mobile

-------- Message d’origine --------

1 Like

Welcome @sdgathman

Glad to have you here in our Fedora Community!

v/r
Andi

1 Like