Introduce yourself!

Hello @neuloef ,
Welcome to :fedora: !
This area we are in is the predominantly Fedora Project related discussions, and over at ask.fedoraproject.org is where one goes for support from the community on technical issues with Fedora Linux. I hope you enjoy your Fedora community life!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Meng, and have just graduated from university. I become passinate about linux and open source technology a few semesters ago and have since learned a lot from the community. I’ll be working in the finance industry as a software engineer based in Hong Kong, but I hope that I can contribute to the community/projects as well! Though I’ve been enjoying the work of open source for a lonnnng time, the community is kind of new for me.

4 Likes

Just a question on how folks from the community can support or reach out to new members as they chime in under this topic.

Would the best thing be to reach out directly via DM in Discourse to see if they would like help in finding their way in the community? This is where perhaps Join Fedora SIG members could also offer to create a ticket for the new potential contributor?

Jim here, first let me say I have the greatest respect for code writers, I probably could have learned it but live and family became very busy and I did not take the dedicated time to learn long ago. Now life is even busier and i find myself in a lifelong career that is focused on protecting people from people and it has shown me how important it is to keep information secure.

My first computer was a project at work where we bought the components and built them so we could learn the mechanics of how PC’s worked. My first machine was a dual floopy and no hard drive. I booted off a 3-1/2 HD floppy and my OS operated in 64 Meg of Ram. I had lots of fun viewing the world of BBS’s and learning learning learning. When windows 98SE expired I made the move to Ubuntu on much more capable PC. I never looked back, I am happy NOT to have weekly issues with viruses!

Lately I’ve been checking out distro’s and reading about how to harden/secure my laptop. Flatpack has become a personal favorite because of the containment and isolation it seems to offer. When I read about how Silverblue was made I decided to rerormat my drive and give it a try. So far i’ve been very impressed. It seems to be using resources smartly and letting my machine work without a lot of memory usage. The isolation designs are a BIG plus plus using flatpaks are great. I seriously expect Fedora to be plowing the road that many other distro’s try to follow in their own way. That said I prefer to stay with the team that has the talent to develop it in the first place. More great ideas will come and I’m excited to anticipate it.

I wonder if there is a Patreon site for people that want to contribute in small but regular amounts??

Thanks to all who have been a part of development and getting the word out!

Greetings from Michigan, USA

1 Like

I personally don’t mind folks hitting me up via DMs for this stuff and therefore think it would be one good way of inviting folks into the project.

To be perfectly honest, I’m pretty confused on how to get started contributing in various ways despite the plethora of documentation, so if someone does want to DM me to answer some questions (and we can perhaps work on contributions to the docs based on those answers so others can benefit from the clarity) that would be great!

I’m interested in potentially helping out in some way relevant to containers on Fedora or even packaging flatpaks for the fedora repo if that helps get the conversation started :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, I’m having trouble finding out how to DM, so in an effort to try something new, I’ll just share the details here.

In my limited experience, it seems like a good way to plug into a team is to find what area you’re interested in contributing in, finding where they talk, and chiming in there. From there they can help you fit into their process and tools because it can vary across teams.

For containerization, the main team working in that is CoreOS and they can be found in the following spaces:

• Matrix: #coreos:fedoraproject.org
  • IRC: #fedora-coreos on Libera.Chat
  • Discussion Forum: #coreos topics

You can find additional info on CoreOS here and containerization in Fedora here, though I think you may have already come across this.

For packaging, you can find the package maintainers in these places as well as the general engineering spaces:

And here are some resources regarding maintaining packages:

Since DMs elude me on this forum, you can DM me on Matrix via @joseph:fedora.im. lol Hope this helps at least somewhat!

Hello!

I’ve been using Linux for about 5 years now, and just recently got more into Linux and Open Source. Currently running Xubuntu, but planning on hopping to Fedora soon. I’ve been using the LTS versions, but recently I’ve just been stuffing it with PPAs, so might as well just move to a more up-to-date distro.

I was planning on joining the forums later on, but I wanted to contribute to the kernel test days, so here I am. I had to deal with a rather painful regression when I upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, so being able to test the kernel before committing to it is great!

2 Likes

Yeah — I have turned off DMs intentionally, because we already have too many different competing channels, and I didn’t want to add even more. https://chat.fedoraproject.org is exactly the right approach.

And, for anyone, who, like @darthlukan, is looking for some directed help, see the Join Fedora channel in specific.

Hello! I’m a…

• assembly programmer since ~1977
  • c programmer since 1980
  • Unix user since ~1981
  • Linux user since ~1995
  • beginner-level rpm packager since ~2001
  • cmake user since ~2011
  • meson user since ~2019
  • go user since 2020
  • tinygo junior developer since 2021

These days I write stuff in Go, compile it to wasm via Tinygo, and run it on an edge cloud, i.e. each run of the software handles a single http request. Whee!

I am interested in web application network security, for example, hardening servers to reduce chances of exploits.

In particular, at the moment, I’m interested in reducing the attack surface beneath the application, for the case where any network app fails to properly validate input, and runs a command based on that input.

Malicious request payloads are often obfuscated. One way to obfuscate them is to use bash variable references, e.g. writing “rm -rf /” as “${PATH:3:1}m+-${PATH:3:1}f+/” (assuming PATH starts with /usr, and the system shell is bash).

Distros that replaced /bin/sh with /bin/dash did it to speed up boot, but it also happens to disable that particular obfuscation technique. It took them years to do it, and one essential tool was bootstrapping the distro with that change and verifying things still worked.

Where might I chat about that kind of stuff (either web app security, boot speed, or bootstrapping and testing Fedora) in the Fedora context?

I’m not likely to take it on myself, but it’s fun to think about.

Thanks,
Dan

Hello all!

I installed Fedora three days ago because I was having hardware support issues and constant crashing with Solus (after using that distribution for 4 years). I recently got a Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card and I am able to use the OpenCL portion of the AMD proprietary drivers to do what I love: 3d modeling and sculpting in Blender.

By day I’m a Automation QA Engineer focusing in API automation for a web application.

I like:

• Blender/GIMP/Krita
  • Python, Javascript, C#
  • Writing in Play By Post games, which are role play games written in forum format!
  • Video games (But less time since starting to use Blender more often!)
  • Coffee (It’s an obsession, really, since I have about 9 different ways to brew coffee)

I’m very excited to step into using Fedora 36 as my daily driver. I’ve installed the KDE spin and I’m already noticing such polish in the way dnf works as opposed to eopkg.

Thank you for creating a great distribution!

A big welcome from all of us :slight_smile:

v/r

Andi

1 Like