Interesting growth trend in Rawhide

I’m looking at the mirror statistics, and in addition to the general positive upward trend, I noticed something interesting. Rawhide was, relatively speaking, at its peak in the early days — up to about 2010. From there, it slowly declines to almost nothing by 2012, and has stayed flat like that … until this last year, where there’s a lot more of it. It’s still small as a fraction, but definitely growing:

Here’s a zoom-in on the last couple of years:

You can see that it’s more than a fluke – usage is definitely up.

This is still using the “old” mirror IP counting system; I haven’t done this for DNF Better Counting yet, but that’s my next little project. I’m definitely curious what percentage of these are long-running systems and which are ephemeral test or build systems.

9 Likes

Does this include Silverblue? (I’m guessing it doesn’t yet, which would make it all the more impressive.)

It doesn’t, except rarely when you run dnf manually.

1 Like

Let’s say I am willing to provide the info to Fedora Project about me using the mirrors. Is there way for me to opt-in for it somehow?

For example in Fedora CI use case, I control the base environment where I run tests, let’s say a container, can I configure it somehow so that it is visible for you that it is the Fedora CI container which fetches the updates?

These statistics don’t show it, but the DNF Better Counting system includes VARIANT_ID from /etc/os-release. If you’re using the official Fedora Container images, this should be all set. If you aren’t, there is a fedora-release subpackage which will set the identity and you may want to make sure that that’s installed.

You could also set something manually, although that’s more likely to confuse me than be helpful — if the usage is at a level where it would be worth distinguishing separately from container in general, it might be worth looking at setting that up with its own fedora-release rpm.