Installing the OnlyOffice Desktop Editors on Fedora through their repo is slightly easier than I expected

OnlyOffice provides instructions for installing their desktop editors on CentOS & Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I read the instructions but arbitrarily decided to try a slightly different method just to see if it worked:

1. Use dnf instead of yum
sudo dnf install https://download.onlyoffice.com/repo/centos/main/noarch/onlyoffice-repo.noarch.rpm
  1. Skip the EPEL repositories
sudo dnf install onlyoffice-desktopeditors

…and it looks like it installed just fine. Not the most exciting discovery ever, but I figured I’d post this in case anyone finds it helpful or neat.

1 Like

How does this differ from Installing. . . Anything else? Looks standard to me.

• Add repo
  • Install Software
  • Use Software

I suppose it doesn’t, really. I’m just relatively inexperienced and have been growing from merely copy and pasting commands that don’t look too dodgy to thinking more about what they do and what should work equally well.

I’m sure more experienced Fedora users will find this mundane.

A nice to have feature here is that the repo is installed via an RPM, like how rpmfusion now does it.

This solves repo upgrades, but I dont know exactly how.

1 Like

If you are on the Gnome desktop :

1 Like

Yes, I do use Flathub and it is nice. When both RPM and Flatpak versions are available, I do tend to like them equally or prefer the RPM version (Zotero’s theming looked better for me in the RPM version, and I think Blender’s GPU acceleration is harder to use in the Flatpak). So I’ve defaulted to using RPM most of the time despite Flatpak having some advantages.

1 Like

You mentioned earlier you were fairly new to Linux, so Welcome to :fedora: Linux, Where Freedom is first :exclamation:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve actually been using Linux on-and-off for a while, but when my Mac kicked the bucket not too long ago, it’s finally my daily driver OS. Now I’m learning more all the time!

1 Like