Install ASUS PCE-AC68 drivers without internet (kind off)

Hi guys, I moved and at my new place I have only wifi access. I have a Asus PCE-AC68 in use, but it doesn’t work at all with my fedora.

I’m pretty sure that I need some kind of internet to get it running, so I bought a TP-Link TL-WN823N USB wifi dongle, which should work. But it does not. When plugging in the usb dongle, the wifi networks are selectable, but it fails to connect, connection error. Connection failed. Activation of network connection failed.
Is there any way to get it running? Can I install the drivers with a usb stick or something? (And what drivers do I need?)

Thanks.

I happen to be replying this message from a Fedora box using a TP-Link TL-WN823N USB wifi dongle. So, at least we know that the problem is not the dongle, nor Fedora. You may need to look at the wifi configuration.

try:
nm-connection-editor

Use that to create a connection profile specific to the networks you select. I also realized that the IP address of the dongle changes each time NetworkManager polls the network. I’m not sure that is relevant to your case.

1 Like

It returns this. KSWE offen is the network I’m trying to connect to.

Select KWSE Offen, then click the gear-symbol at the bottom. That should take you to the configuration for that network

1 Like

It does. Device is wlp20f0u7. Could this be my asus card? I can’t select another device, but when unplugging my usb dongle, the wlp20… is still there.

On ubuntu I was able to look up all my network devices with sudo lshw -C network. Is there a way to do this with fedora?

sudo dnf install lshw

Alternatively, you can check the following:

lspci -n -n -k; lsusb -v -v -t

This does not show me the network name sadly (like wlp…) and I don’t have internet access, so I can’t install lshw. Thanks anyways.

ip addr

or

nmcli device show

use the one below to view all the available wireless networks
nmcli device wifi list

(this should tell you if the dongle is seeing the networks properly)

Use the next to connect to a wireless network
nmcli device wifi connect <provide-the-ssid> password <provide-the-password> ifname wlp20f0u7

What does the following line output?:
lsusb | grep TP-Link

lsusb | grep TP-Link returns Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2357:0108 TP-Link TL-WN823N v2/v3 [Realtek RTL8192EU].

And nmcli device witi connect... results in the same behavior as connecting via the UI. Output: Error: Connection activation failed: (53) The Wi-Fi network could not be found.