In Fedora 37 I have installed dkms for virtualbox but now wifi has stopped working

I installed dkms ( sudo dnf install dkms) and it also installed some kernel modules along with it butafter reboot it took out my wifi driver which was working previously. I think it did some kind of kernel upgrade but after rebooting and choosing an earlier kernel version from my startup menu I was able to get back my original setup including WiFi.

I see another post posted their lspci so here is mine

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev f1)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f1)
00:1e.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO UART Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:1e.6 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Secure Digital IO Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point LPC Controller/eSPI Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp Device 501d (rev 01)

I was installing dkms to solve a VirtualBox issue but the solution I followed only managed to make things worse.

The kernel version I upgraded from was 6.4.11-100.fc37.x86_64 and the kernel it upgraded me to was 6.5.11-100.fc37.x86_64

Is there any resolution to this and if not how can I make my second to last kernel my default kernel on boot?

Thanks

I use virtualbox but I installed it as rpm from the rpmfusion repo. It does not require dkms and I have had no unexpected problems with running it.

Note that you seem to still be using F37 which is EOL in just a couple more weeks so there will be no further upgrades or bug fixes to any of the software you have. Solving the problem that seems to require you to remain on a 6.4 kernel would be the best suggestion I can make.

There are 2 ways to make a specific kernel default.
This thread provides one way and the most commonly used. Note that setting a kernel as default by using the index number only keeps that kernel active until the next kernel update is installed and a new kernel becomes index 0. A newly installed kernel becomes index 0 and older kernels are pushed down the list.

The second way is to edit /etc/default/grub and add an option in there.
Adding a line that reads GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true at the end of that file then running the command sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg before rebooting will allow you to select any installed kernel and that kernel will then become the default until you select a different kernel to boot.

1 Like

I guess it’s a case of “look before you install stuff” but fortunately it didn’t leave me without options.

Because I partitioned my home drive early on I might be able to upgrade to Fedora 38 if I know in advance it’s not going to wipe my home partition however I would need to test a live version to satisfy myself that WiFi will still work.

Doing dnf system-upgrade leaves home untouched.
It is safe to use and what I have been doing with my Fedora systems for many years.
Of course it is always wise to have a backup of important data.

1 Like