If I want to use `pdflatex` in the terminal, do I have to install it with rpm-ostree?

If I want to use pdflatex in the terminal, do I have to install it with rpm-ostree?

1 Like

If you are going to use it often than yes.

Other option is to install in toolbox. In terminal toolbox enter and than sudo dnf install pdflatex

1 Like

Thank you.

running sudo dnf install pdflatex couldn’t find a package. Yet installing texlive works sudo dnf install texlive-scheme-full

Now, pdflatex and texstudio work within toolbox. I don’t miss packages and it runs smoothely.

But why not use official AppImage from https://www.texstudio.org/ ?

appimages are a pain to maintain as a user, imo.

apart from that, the appimage doesn’t provide pdflatex and other tools. texstudio is just one tool that I use with latex. R, python, julia, weave, etc. all somehow depend on latex. I just have to adapt to the atomic fedora workflow, as an end user.

1 Like

I am using TexStudio as a flatpak, which seems to have everything, at least I have no problems producing or manipulating pdf’s with it.

1 Like

'usr/bin/pdflatex is just a symbolic link to /usr/bin/pdftex, but the addition of la tells pdftex to load the LaTeX macros. The symbolic link comes from a texlive-latex package:

$ dnf whatprovides /usr/bin/pdflatex
Last metadata expiration check: 0:08:39 ago on Mon 20 Nov 2023 05:37:02 PM.
texlive-latex-11:svn65161-77.fc39.noarch : A TeX macro package that defines LaTeX
Repo        : @System
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/pdflatex

texlive-latex-11:svn65161-77.fc39.noarch : A TeX macro package that defines LaTeX
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/pdflatex

It is important to mention that pdfLaTeX is in maintenance mode. LuaLaTeX is under active development with support many languages using unicode fonts.

1 Like

I use TexStudio and TikZ very often.
The solution that worked for me in Fedora Silverblue was installing it as a flatpak. The only inconvenience is that the flatpak only deals with the application itself, and does not provide the pdf compilers. To get all the goodies that TexStudio requires - besides pdflatex - I used brew to install texlive and all the pdf compilers such a LuaLatex and XeLatex. The only difference with a typical installation - such my ditched Ubuntu - is that you have to manually provide the path for each of the pdf compilers in the Build option paths. For instance, something like /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/lualatex, and so on. Then, you can save the path mappings as a text file for the future.

Half a year later, my twoncents: I don’t use latex for my own work anymore. I use typst. Typst is easier to install, maintain and work with than latex. It’s not yet as feature rich but more powerful.

The best way of installing latex is either as flatpak with texstudio if it works or within a distrobox. Install the full suite sudo dnf install texlive-scheme-full for best experience. Distrobox is more user friendly than toolbox because you can distrobox export --bin pdflatex and use it outside of the box.