Ibus-pinyin issue

Problem

ibus-pinyin preferences panel fails to open on F39 due to setup/main.py importing the xdg module, which has now been deprecated in favour of xdg-base-dirs

Cause

The module xdg is deprecated in Python 3.12 - I have deduced this from the fact that this ibus-pinyin issue is not yet present on Debian.

Related Issues

Bugzilla report: #2272902

Workarounds

This issue has been solved in upstream 6 years ago by simply removing the offending line of code: from xdg import BaseDirectory

Closing

I notice that Debian considers ibus-pinyin deprecated. I’d like some clarification if possible on Fedora’s stance on continuing to maintain the ibus-pinyin package, as there have been a number of commits upstream that don’t seem to have found their way into the package on Fedora.

This is a wrong place to report a bug. You need to file it in https://bugzilla.redhat.com . Please do that, and add a link here, thanks. Include more details in there, like a traceback or journal output, package version, etc.

That’s why you need to reach the Fedora maintainers, in Bugzilla.

In that case it would be solved in Fedora as well. But the Fedora maintainers will be able to tell you more.

From Proposed Common Issues to Ask Fedora

Thank you very much for your reply. This is my first time reporting a bug so I hope you’ll forgive my unfamiliarity with the process.

Thank you again!