I can't see my files

I need your help with the following

I have a 2nd drive on the pc and when I upgraded to Fedora 39,I had it attached. On rebooting-I did not see anything from folders-files

The system tells me, that there are files (e.g. so many and how much space they take up)-I asked it to copy-paste an identical file and it says, do you want to replace the archive; but I don’t see anything-as empty

maybe the disk is damaged; if you know of a program that I can see them and save them - I also have a folder with Veracrypt… my situation is tragic :worried:
(i post the same in “other languages”-in greek-ellinika to understand better)

1 Like

So you assume that a fedora upgrade overwrote the second drive? That is strange and should not happen.

Please add info where you see the things you mention, do you use the Gnome filemanager and try to view the files?

To make things more clear, please send the output of lsblk in the terminal. You should see the drive you want here, mounted in some location.

Then cd /run/media/user/DRIVENAME or whereever it is mounted, and send the output of ls -alh

1 Like

Thank you for your reply
this is my situation

and the other info
beba@fedora-host:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 116.4G 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 1G 0 part /boot
└─sda3 8:3 0 115.4G 0 part
└─luks-33d7bdd3-df61-4e64-bede-6c79c2c11371 253:0 0 115.4G 0 crypt /home
/
sdb 8:16 0 465.8G 0 disk /run/media/beba/DaTa
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
zram0 252:0 0 1.9G 0 disk [SWAP]

beba@fedora-host:~$ cd /run/media/beba/DaTa
beba@fedora-host:/run/media/beba/DaTa$ ls -alh
ls: reading directory ‘.’: Input/output error
total 0

Try cd /run/media/beba then ls -ld (or ls -ld *) so we can see the ownership of the Data device.
I suspect your user is not the owner and does not have execute permissions on the device.so it cannot be read.

1 Like

beba@fedora-host:/run/media/beba/DaTa$ cd /run/media/beba
beba@fedora-host:/run/media/beba$ ls -ld
drwxr-x—+ 3 root root 60 Mar 27 21:20 .

Sorry, try that again with ls -ld * so we can see the permissions on the Data directory/device/

If it shows the same as you show here (root root) then you would need to run
sudo chown -R beba:beba /run/media/beba/Data
Once that is done then the device should always be accessible to your user.

Note that this may not work if the file system on that device is either ntfs or fat since neither of those filesystems support the linux style ownership or permissions.

1 Like