I can't play videos on google chrome

As the tittle says, when i open a video on youtube on google chrome i can hear the sound of the video i can use the options that youtube has in the video but the video itself if completely blank the screen of the video is only a white picture, what can i do to solve this problem i’m using Fedora 39, Thanks!

the video works perfectly on Firefox i installed RPM Fusion and yet videos on chrome doesn’t work

I guess the place to start would be to figure out what codec the video is using, then see if you can find other reports of Google Chrome not working (on Linux) with that codec.

I’m not sure what the easiest way to get the codec info would be. I’d probably use youtube-dl -F <url-of-youtube-video> to see what formats the site hosts, then use youtube-dl -f <number> <url-of-youtube-video> to download the one that I suspect is failing, verify that the video does not play by opening the local copy in Google Chrome (you can use ctrl+o to bring up the file open dialog in Chrome). Then, once I’ve narrowed down the problematic video, I’d use ffprobe <filename> to see what codec it is using. (There is probably a simpler way using Chrome’s developer tools or something, but I don’t know what it is. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like