I cannot use arm-none-eabi-gcc in Centos 9

./arm-none-eabi-gdb -ver
./arm-none-eabi-gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libncursesw.so.5 does not exist in Centos 9 only the version 6 and also libtinfo.s0.5 is not available. So I cannot use the debugger.

Any idea how can I fix it, I asked also at ARM Forums but I didnt receive any reaction or reply.

Kind Regards,
Niko

From Ask Fedora to CentOS

CentOS Stream 9 doesn’t provide the older ncurses libraries at all. You’ll need to either rebuild the software against the newer libraries, or perhaps use it in a container based on an older Linux distribution.

I think container it is not a solution, I have to interactively debug my software

I believe the type of container Josh was thinking of is the sort which acts like a ‘glorified’ chroot with the libraries and versions in it. The toolbx and similar programs will take a container and overlay it on your home directory and allow for you to talk to software and device.

Edited to add: The reason for this suggestion is definitely something to think about with compilers and cross-compiler toolkits. A version of ncurses5 in EL9 would be compiled with a different compiler set with different flags which may affect things that a compiler silently expects in libraries it calls. This means you are likely to have weird bugs you didn’t have with the original operating system the tool was built for. [This doesn’t happen a lot, but compilers and related tools expect a higher level of stability than most other software]

You should be able to use ncurses-compat-libs for this, which is available on EPEL 9.