Hurka-durka-durgen from the cold nordics

Hey, all! A Fedora user from the Nordics here, specifically from Norway. And a hurka-durka-durgen to you too.

My first time running Linux was actually RedHat 6.2 I got from a book I bought. I used to get those books/magazines all the time so I could try out new distros, like SuSE, Debian, Mandrake, Slackware. Then the internet happened. Oh dear gawd the internet happened.

From that point I was a distro hopping fool and would nuke and pave for my own amusement. I’ve used Gentoo, Arch, Mandriva, Ubuntu, NixOS, Fedora Core, OpenSuSE, ClearLinux, Solus OS, Pop!_OS and some other derivatives I can’t be bothered to remember.

You mention a package manager and I’ve probably used it… though I have not been so unlucky as to nuke the system by trying to install Steam.

Now I’m running Silverblue, because the future is containerised, flatpaked and immutable… at least that’s what I think.

I like listening to and making beats (the latter with proprietary software unfortunately), I like smoked whiskey, I’m a patron of the arts, I support local artists and poets, I support FLOSS and advocate for the usage of FLOSS systems and applications. AMA!

6 Likes

Hello from Belarus, the country of past and old mans’ fears.

As for AMA… What is the hurka-durka-durgen? I’ve read is as some kind of Hurka Durka dungeon game. :smiley:

And how do you actually making beats? I know I can enjoy drumming, but without drums - what is the fun?

As for artists support, I’d like to have a fund to pay artists for drawing some ideas and then trading this art as NFTs to see which one fares better,

1 Like

I think it’s partly a stereotypical way of speaking Scandinavian, but also I think it comes from Spongebob Squarepants.

I use Ableton Live on my Windows machine or on the jamming machine, which I can connect to an e-drumkit and the Ableton Push 2. The latter makes Ableton Live behave more like a groovebox. Similar feature set can be found in Bitwig, but certain things I need from Ableton Live are not available in Bitwig.

IMHO NFTs aren’t worth what people are paying for them :confused: though I do like interesting ways of using the blockchain and there probably is a lot of cash in it, but not for me. I am however very interested in Web3.

I monitor topics that appear on #jam topics and find experiments with TuxGuitar / Guitarix very interesting. Yet I still imagine that any software powered effects are slow, especially for drumming. Haven’t got a change to check them myself.

1 Like

I monitor topics that appear on Audio Production - Fedora Discussion and find experiments with TuxGuitar / Guitarix very interesting. Yet I still imagine that any software powered effects are slow, especially for drumming. Haven’t got a change to check them myself.

Well, it depends. Modelled virtual instrumentsa (i.e software “modelled” after analogue equipment or specific digital effects and instruments) can be taxing. But if you can afford a properly speced machine you shouldn’t have any problems.

Personally I have experience with BIAS FX, a guitar amp sim plugin, but don’t know enough about guitar tones to actually know “what’s good”. But I have gotten my Arturia V Collection working under WINE with the ASIO patch and Jack2, which ran fairly well - but as long as the vendor programs the plugin with care you can get Windows plugins running reliably under Linux.

My hope is that PipeWire will be a better solution down the road to lower the barrier to entry for pro audio enthusiasts on Linux.

1 Like

Hinga Dinga Durgen! :rofl: me and my kids do that all the time since seeing that episode. Mostly to play up the joke since friends and family tease about when they try to speak Danish with me (I’ve been trying to learn with the kiddos)

Me too! Awesome :sunglasses:

Hinga Dinga Durgen! :rofl:

lol ^^ yeah. It’s a step up from “fluben flaben fliben”.

Mostly to play up the joke since friends and family tease about when they try to speak Danish with me

Most of Scandinavia teases Danmark about their language and way of annunciation, so there’s that.

But hey, it’s all in good fun ^^

2 Likes