How to use the hardened Kernel on OSTree?

Hi,

I want to try the hardened Kernel, with a pretty recent COPR repo existing, including hardened_malloc and kernel-hardened.

1. I cant install the hardened kernel, as I get “error multiple kernels found in /usr/lib/modules”
  2. I would like to be able to use my deployments, one with hardened kernel, one without
  3. I would probably need to replace the default malloc with the hardened malloc

Are these packages more secure than the default ones? The kernel is actually newer than Fedoras default one, so this gives me hope.

I know GrapheneOS devs doing lots of work on these things, and afaik these packages are derived from that.

Edit

@siosm gave this command

rpm-ostree override replace ./kernel*.rpm

but the problem is, that nonlocal overrides are not yet implemented.

rpm-ostree override remove kernel kernel-core kernel-modules kernel-headers kernel-devel kernel-modules-extra --install kernel-hardened

This looks scary but should work, if the Kernel package is correctly built.

What packages would I need to replace to use the hardened_malloc?

I just tried

rpm-ostree override remove kernel kernel-core kernel-modules kernel-modules-extra glibc-common glibc --install kernel-hardened hardened_malloc

got these dependency errors:

rpcbind-1.2.6-3.rc2.fc37.x86_64 requires glibc-common, but none of the providers can be installed

Along with some local RPM needing many to-be-removed rpms

Has anyone experience with these packages? Any breakages, performance issues e.g.?

Hm, I used a different COPR with more up-to-date packages.