How to use the flatpak version of Thunderbird with wayland?

Installing Thunderbird via dnf allows us to run Thunderbird as native wayland program by setting the environment variable MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
The same does not seem to work for the flatpak version of thunderbird, installed from registry.fedoraproject.org.
Any ideas of how to make the flatpak run as native wayland program?

Hi,

Google search found this:

I would try running from the commandline with:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --env MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 org.mozilla.thunderbird`

If that works try updating the shortcut.

1 Like

You can also set this with a flatpak override.
flatpak override --env=variable flatpak.first.last

I use the below to set mumble to use x11 for my user install

flatpak override --user --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb info.mumble.Mumble

2 Likes

That is exactly what I tried, setting the environment variable MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. Should probably have said explicitely that I passed on the environment variable to flatpak.
For completeness, I used /usr/bin/flatpak run --env=MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 org.mozilla.Thunderbird (capitalization is important here).

@grumpey setting a flatpak override is nice (and I do it quite frequently for directory access), but does not solve the problem when setting the parameters explicitly does not help to begin with.

Hi

According to:

This should work:

flatpak override --user --env=MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 org.mozilla.Thunderbird

If not I suggest raising an issue on their github.

Thanks Tom.

2 Likes

There seems to be an additional override needed
flatpak override --socket=wayland org.mozilla.Thunderbird

or you can just do flatpak run with both arguments.

2 Likes

That’s the solution, adding --socket=wayland in addition to the --env, so the whole command is
flatpak run --env=MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 --socket=wayland org.mozilla.Thunderbird

@tjdoyle: Thanks for the link, but I am not using flathub for Thunderbird. I prefer to stick to registry.fedoraproject.org for all programs provided there. Feels more Fedora to me and I do not need to check the license file of every app (and the config to see if it is built from source or binary, despite being OSS).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.