How to set up a scan share in Konica Minolta printer

This is a recurring problem for me. Every time I have to change the printer/scanner in my office I struggle to properly configure the shared folder for scanning. It’s quite complex, as you have to set the firewall, the folder SElinux permissions, the user and password for the samba user, etc.
Over the years I’ve written down some notes, but these can help only sometimes. I need your help to improve these notes or find better ways than Samba.

I have some questions:

1. Is Samba the best way to send scanned documents from a Konica Minolta printer to a Linux computer? Or there’s any other better method? (I tried FTP in the past but it turned out to be worse than Samba)
  2. How can I check what’s the Samba protocol used by the printer? I’m asking because Fedora samba server supports only version 2 or above. I wonder if I really need to set a min protocol in smb.conf or if this is actually useless.
  3. Tips on debugging? I set the samba log level to 10, but it’s probably too verbose and I need to reduce the messages to those really useful to debug this problem.
1 Like

Well, for the records I managed to set up also this new Konica Minolta.

The useful message in the logs was the following:

[2024/07/02 16:34:53.672015,  5] ../../auth/ntlmssp/ntlmssp_server.c:820(ntlmssp_server_auth_done)
  ntlmssp_server_auth_done: Checking NTLMSSP password for \fede failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

It turned out that I needed to add this line in the [global] section of smb.conf:

ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted

The default value is ntlmv2-only.
And I don’t need the min protocol = CORE which I used to use before.

Well, I’ll wait for some feedback on this matter and eventually I might write down some of my notes so they can be useful for other people.
Thanks

1 Like