How to install libpython3.8.m.so in Fedora 37

Hello all, I am trying to install libpython3.8.m.so to export a python path to OpenModelica. The documentation ( Buildings.Utilities.IO.Python_3_8.UsersGuide ) saysto use sudo apt-get install libpython3.8-dev, but I cannot find the dnf equivalent. Anyone have any ideas, I tried intalling python 3.8, but whereis libpython3.8m.so did not find it. Thank you for the help.

The equivalent of libpython3.8-dev on Fedora would be python3.8-devel if it existed, but Python 3.8 is not fully supported on current Fedora versions (37/38). See the description in dnf info python3.8. Python 3.8 was the version used in Fedora 32.

You could use distrobox to make a Ubuntu 20.04 container, or run Ubuntu 20.04 in a virtual machine (VM).

Note there seems to be a typo on that doc. libpython3.8.m.so vs libpython3.8m.so

Note that if one was using a python virtual environment it is quite possible to install python 3.8 on a system that is running python 3.11.

One would need to use pip and install only into the users venv area, as well as needing to basically install the full python 3.8 system in that venv.

It is likely that one may even be able to install the full python 3.8 version from the F32 repos. On my system which has repeatedly been upgraded I see

# ls -ld /usr/lib/python3*
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Nov 14  2022 /usr/lib/python3.10
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Apr  4 19:00 /usr/lib/python3.11
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Nov 19  2021 /usr/lib/python3.9

So I have 3.9, 3.10, and 3.11 all available as they were with the latest update for the fedora release where they were installed, as of the time I upgraded to the next fedora release.

In summary, I tried # dnf install python3-3.8.10* --releasever 32 --allowerasing and while it would have worked the result would have been

Transaction Summary
====================================================================================================================================
Install      51 Packages
Remove      195 Packages
Downgrade  1078 Packages

Total download size: 1.4 G
Is this ok [y/N]: 
Operation aborted.

Thus directly installing python 3.8 would be a no go for me, though the venv route would work without disrupting any system packages.