How to improve my Fedora experience?

The issue is that NVIDIA is dominant in the dGPU market. Hybrid laptops and PCs will likely include NVIDIA hardware.

So apart from that “it is good enough for technical users”:

Could Fedora legally offer a button, after detecting NVIDIA hardware, to automate the install? It is still user choice, could be some 3rd party page not included in the ISO

Nope, it is not necessary that Fedora gives a button to auto-config and auto-install the missing bits. Fedora can do exactly as nowadays, maybe making it a bit more obvious and clear.

It is RPM Fusion or another similar initiative that must provide the button.

Current RPM Fusion is a convenient way for people who otherwise would compile source code and I thank everybody I don’t have to but it is not for beginners.

About “user choice”, I can’t “chose” to fly a jet plane. Even more so when I don’t even know the jet plane exists and what it does. Again we are reasoning about elites.

About “legalities”, I guess there are two paths here.
One is to not provide some software and let the user install on a separate way.
The other is to actively disable all the parts that are necessary to run the patented software. Or even add some checks in order to disallow and prevent it. In this condition the user doesn’t have to install missing bits only, she/he must replace parts of the system with third party ones and this of course brings the dependency hell.
Right now the very first instruction on RPM Fusion asks the user to authorize the replacing of the “free” ffmpeg and related parts and that means Fedora and RPM Fusion are somehow “competing”.

Not true as I see it.
Fedora used to not include any part of ffmpeg and the only sure source was to compile it yourself or install from rpmfusion.

With f39 fedora began including ffmpeg-free and various other bits such as libavcodec-free that were stripped of the offending codecs but at least gave most of the functionality for multimedia to users.

The differences are that in order to use the full range of codecs and support all multimedia files one still is required to obtain the extra codecs from outside the fedora repos. This is still the function of rpmfusion in that their version provides for many codecs that are not in fedora by default (and are restricted by fedora’s policies).

No one is able to ignore the legal restrictions imposed by our government. Other governments impose differing rules and thus other entities are able to provide different solutions based on their own locations.

Cooperation between providers is not the same as directly providing the solution and is a result of those restrictions.

Friend, these are the first lines in RPM Fusion “howto”:

Switch to full ffmpeg

Fedora ffmpeg-free works most of the time, but one will experience version missmatch from time to time. Switch to the rpmfusion provided ffmpeg build that is better supported. You will still need to follow the next section for additional codecs or plugins related to packages you might have installed.

sudo dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg --allowerasing

There you don’t need libavcodec-freeworld that is only meant to complement the ffmpeg-free package (and related libraries).

I am nobody but “swap --allowerasing” from here looks like “remove Fedora’s stuff and install ours”.

No one is able to ignore the legal restrictions imposed by our government.

Seriously?
I wouldn’t want to live in that distopia.
I live in a country where “restrictions” are more like “suggestions” or “recommendations”.
For example I usually park my bike on the sidewalk and since I am a nice guy I do my best to not disturb pedestrians but there are cars parked anywhere.
So far the government did not mind, like it did not mind all the years I was using a pirate Windows with all pirated software and games and movies and stuff. Back then the rule was “it is illegal but we pretend to not know until you make a profit out of it”. You could not sell pirate software but you could freely give it away to your friends. Then Microsoft, after placing Windows on every single PC, decided to add the “activation key”. Then again, how many “legal” copies of Photoshop could they sell to students and hobbists? By allowing piracy they made a professional market with people who learned on the pirate copies and bought the license once they made a business with it. See how things go?

Anyway, RPM Fusion exists to circumvent those “restrinctions” and the only problem is IT IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR NEWBIES. All we need is a button to “auto-do” whatever follows the above lines in the “howto”.

Or another distro that derives from Fedora, I don’t know, looks a bit like an overkill.

edit:
Example: youtube videos are playing with heavy stuttering
Yes, nothing new, always the same old.

Maybe I should have said ‘no corporation’ or ‘no large enterprise’, but it is true that with all the restrictions here there are individuals that would push until a lawsuit was filed and the enterprise would be forced to spend money in defending itself that would be better spent on product development.

A very disfunctional world that makes businesses choose to err on the side of self defense and avoid legal battles rather than productivity.

Actually “the world” has many issues but each place has its own and often they are one the opposite of the other, too much of something or too few.
“Patents” and “lawsuits” are a very american thing.
There are other places where the authorities encourage the copying of everything in any way possible and even laying and cheating in a sort of “macchiavellian” idea of competition.
I live in the EU and generally here it is not much about abstract ideas or principles but things made, like lines of code, car design, some recipe for food and alike. You can patent an electric engine but the patent covers that exact engine, not all similar engines.
I guess putting “the world” together is not an easy task.

Hi @jonasanoniem

Most of your small problems seems related to Wayland to me. Maybe you should try to start your desktop environnement under X to see how it goes ?
Apart from that, here are some suggestions that I hope could be helpful :

• Give up falkon, waterfox will do just fine indeed.
  • For basic vector editing, Inkscape will do and can do a lot more that just basic. You’re probably still going to miss affinity and illustrator though.
  • For (music) tags, I would suggest Picard (musicbrainz) but I’m not sure if that’s only what you’re looking for.

I have a laptop technically close to yours, and a whole lot of issues stopped when I stopped using wayland. These were random small issues and therefore, without much answers and solutions around the web. I’m just guessing you’re having a similar experience.

Hi @mediaklan ,

Ah, we’re back on topic :-).
Thanks for your suggestion. Isn’t Wayland more advanced and won’t everything be using Wayland in the end? (I will Ecosia-search it myself, just thinking out loud)
I’l check out Picard.

Thanks!

1 Like

Ahh … Sorry about that. Must be letting my Moderator fu slip.

1 Like

I really didn’t mind, it was interesting to follow.

1 Like

Wayland is just a protocol.

Each Desktop Environment must develop its own compositor which then uses some of the specifications of the said protocol in its own way to display stuff.

So there isn’t a single “Wayland” but there are several “Wayland dialects”. So far I have seen three, Gnome, KDE and Sway.

All programs must be ported from X11 to Wayland through some compositor and I guess GTK applications are being ported to Gnome compositor (Mutter?) while QT applications are being ported to KDE compositor (KWin?). So what happens when a GTK or a QT application goes on Cinnamon or XFCE, when/if those DE gets some working compositor for Wayland? Who knows. I expect some quirks even from Gnome to KDE and vice-versa.

Speaking of Gnome and KDE, the thing is nobody is working on X11 any more so whatever issue could emerge, it won’t be fixed. Issues with Wayland are temporary.

The majority of close family members (now either dead or retired) worked in large enterprise environments where security was a high priority. There are well-known “unfixable” security problems with the basic design Xorg. Some apps (a simple example is xeyes) rely on problematic capabilities in Xorg so some Xorg apps will never work properly with Wayland. A few people may still be making sure Xorg can be used with newer kernels, but organizations that employ linux developers will focus on Wayland for the security benefits. For users in large enterprises that have standardized on Windows, linux may only be available with WSL or on servers in major data centres. Xorg may be available in VNC sessions, but can be slower for distant sites than web-based systems like Jupyter and Rstudio-server. Perhaps enterprise networks prioritize (intranet?) web traffic.

It would be useful to have a list of “important” Xorg programs that don’t run properly with Xwayland with a list of similar applications that do work with Wayland along some indication of whether there are plans to port the app to native Wayland (for security reasons it may be considered unwise to publish details, but I suspect bad actors are already aware of vulnerabilities).

I agree completely. However, since many (most) of those apps are 3rd party developed and the developers in many cases are either not interested, no longer working on the app, or otherwise unable to update them for wayland differences; I really wonder how such a list could be developed.

Users certainly can report those that have issues with wayland. The fixes would be the sticking point.

Well, we could make it simple by looking at what software exposes something to the Internet.
I am not a security expert but from my perspective the main risk factor for companies is employees working from home or while traveling and accessing some company service from remote.

From Ask Fedora to The Water Cooler

Added friends, tech-talk and removed gnome, intel, kde, kde-plasma, wayland

:coffee:

Just one small addition. I’ve seen the problem with the auto-hiding panel disappearing. I fixed it by going to settings> Window Management> Desktop Effects and turning off “Screen Edge” (highlighting). I’ve noticed this with many distros (including Fedora) with the KDE desktop in virtual machines as well as some on hardware.

1 Like