How to I enable write permisions on the NTFS windows network I connected to Fedora?

Hi there.

I run Fedora Workstation as a rendering node. I have it connected to my network and I can browse and download files fine but I need to write files to it too. The NTFS drives over the network are connected fine and I have NTFS-3g installed as per another thread but I have no idea how to configure the network mounting options. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

You will need to provide more information here. Generally speaking, Fedora will not use a standard filesystem on a network storage device. Normally, storage devices on the network are shared out over the network through another service, such as NFS or Samba. NAS devices use NFS by default, for example.

Are your drives being shared by one of these services? Share as much detail as possible.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The NTFS drives are internal hard drives inside my windows 10 workstation. These are shared locations on the network and I can access (read & write) the files fine using my Windows 10 laptop, when connected to my LAN.

I’ve set up Samba on my Fedora box and I can connect and read the files over the network from inside Fedora. The only thing I can’t do is write files over the network to any of these drives from within Fedora.

I’m able to write files to these drives from my Windows 10 laptop and the drive permissions are set correctly on the Windows 10 workstation.

I’ve read in another thread a few days ago that I may need to do some additional configuration on the Fedora end to allow me to write files over the network onto an NTFS drive.

I use Linux as my primary desktop at work with a Windows environment. Here’s how I mount my Windows based shares which provides ability to write:

$ sudo mount -t cifs //WindowsServer/Share /media/LocalShare -o credentials=/home/username/.smbpw,uid=1000

So the critical pieces here are the -o credentials=/home/username/.smbpw I created the .smbpw file (chmod 600 for security) the content of the file is simply:
username=WinUserName
password=YourWindowsNetworkPassword

Then the , uid=1000 This number needs to match your user on your Linux machine.
$ cat /etc/passwd
and find your username. It will have a number assigned (usually starts with 1000 on Red Hat based distros). If your /etc/passwd shows 1003 then use ,uid=1003 in the command above.

I usually write a shell script (batch file) that maps 3 or 4 windows shares for me that I use every day.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Ah thanks for this! I’ll give this a try when I get a minute.