How Expand Fedora Partition

Hi everyone I premise that I am fairly new to the linux world

having a dual boot installation with Windows now I would like to take space away from windows to add it to Fedora I started a Live USB with gparted I unlogged 50GB from the Windows partition but I couldn’t extend fedora being that I have the boot partition in the way and I don’t know how it works now to expand, if anyone can help me I would be grateful. Thanks in advance. PS My Laptop: ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Added gparted and removed wayland

Welcome to Fedora @complexdev

I think best would be when you boot with a live Iso/usb. So your partition is not used from the system you boot from. Gparted should be available on the live iso. If not install it.

The rest should be similar as shrinking a partition. Click on the specific partition and expand it. Just watch that you not create a new partition, otherwise your system will not boot because of unknown partition names.

So I already tried with Gparted from live usb but once I shrink the Windows partition if I try to do resize/move on the fedora partition(63GB) it doesn’t let me move everything to the left it’s like it doesn’t detect the space unllocated I think the problem is that in between the unallocated partition and the fedora partition there is the 1GB ext4 boot partition

This must be done in stages.

1. reduce the size of the windows partition (you said this is already done)
  2. move the boot partition (/boot) to the beginning of the now open space
  3. Expand the root partition (btrfs) into the space now open between /boot and the btrfs partition.

You cannot expand a partition that would then span space already allocated to another partition, but you can relocate partitions, one step at a time, in the proper order

Ok I’m starting to understand thx one small question how do I move that partition with gparted, if possible a step by step explanation

This should be relatively simple for you as you already resized the Windows partition. In GParted click the ext4/boot partition - right click it and select the move/resize option. A window will open up. You can just click the graphical partition on the top and drag it over to the left. But it may be a very small sliver and you may accidentally drag to expand it instead, easy to fix, but if you want you could instead just click the “Free Space Preceeding” box and change the number to what you want. I usually keep around 3 MB between my partitions because way back in the good ol’ days there were problems with partitions overlaping but not an issue anymore so you can just put a zero (0) in the box & hit the Resize/move button. Give it a few seconds and you’ll have lots of free space to expand your Fedora partition. You will have no problem, you can do it!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: As soon as I am available I will try to perform the steps, I will update you

Like this?

Now if I can another question, with this operation can I risk a boot fail ?

If you have important Data to loose, you should always do a backup first. This way you are prepared if something happens. As you are not creating a new partition I do not see a big issue to happen. Try to follow the instructions of @lobstercat seams reasonable to me.

Just as an hint, you are on the wrong section. You have to click on the BTRFS partition to see the slider. As mentioned above the unallocated space has to be on the right side so that you can add it to the BTRFS partition. And remember to control carefully before you apply, then without applying you still can exit of gparted and nothing will change.

I want to add, that this action is effectively a write operation, It may take some time for the move. Don’t stop, shutdown etc while the move is taking place and wait for gparted to be done. it should provide you with the info when it’s done.

Power-savings and suspend modus

If you do it overnight you might better switch off all power saving options. I do not know how this looks on the gnome live system … but probably with a mate Spinn you will be more on the saver side while be able to switch it off completely in the settings.

You can resize the root partition the same as you moved the /boot partition.
Set the size preceding the partition to 0 so it will move all the way to the end of the previous partition. Then set the space after the partition to some small amount (usually 3 MB or near that) so the total size uses the existing size plus the unallocated space.

As already stated, this will take some time as it relocates everything already in the partition. Make certain the process is not interrupted in any way.

Like this? now I move all to the left and I extend the “slider”

Exactly like that, but personally I would do that as 3 separate actions and not all at once. Each is a separate action on a different partition so should probably be done as a discrete transaction.
Shrinking nvme0n1p3 and moving nvme0n1p4 may realistically be done at the same time with minimal risk but I still would separate the actions.

Since expanding nvme0n1p5 is the time consuming one and involves the greatest risk, I would definitely complete the first two before I began the last one.

Additionally, since the shrink of nvme0n1p3 involves the winows ntfs partition I would perform that action while booted into windows and use the windows disk manager. Using windows tools to perform actions on a windows partition strikes me as having lesser risk than doing so from gparted with fedora.