How do I install all the packages that come with the KDE spin?

At my workplace, I recently migrated from Windows 10 to Fedora. The standard OS image they use for Fedora is a customized version of the regular Fedora Workstation with GNOME.

I prefer KDE, so I installed it using dnf install @kde-desktop-environment. However, this doesn’t seem to come with all the apps that come with the KDE spin - for example, it didn’t install gwenview and images still opened in a GNOME app.

How do I install all the packages that come with the KDE spin?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Fedora Discourse community :fedora: .

My take is there doesn’t have to be an exact package group in the repos matching all the KDE apps which come preinstalled on the KDE spin.

Running dnf group info KDE*, I’ve noticed that gwenview can be found in the package 'KDE Multimedia support'. You could install that group, as well as others displayed by the previous command that match your needs.

Or you can install gwenview by itself, as a standalone package.

1 Like

Welcome to Fedora.

Instead of installing the Gnome version first and then add the KDE desktop with its programs, you could have installed the KDE spin: https://fedoraproject.org/spins/kde/
It’s the same Fedora but with KDE instead of Gnome. If you then still miss something you can always add it, just use the Discover program or open a terminal and use
sudo dnf install <whatever you want to install>

Thanks! This is useful. I’ve got 20+ years experience with Debian but this is the first time I’ve ever used Fedora so the tools like dnf are new to me. I like it.

gwenview was just one example. There’s some others too. Maybe I’ll just get a list of installed packages from my home system (which is using the KDE spin) and install all of those.

There must be a config somewhere that specifies all the packages to bundle with the spin, right? since I assume the ISO builds are automated. I just don’t know where to look for that :smiley:

I mentioned this in my post. This is on my work PC and I need to use their standard enviroment, which is a version of the regular Fedora Workstation (with GNOME) and a bunch of setup scripts that run during the installation and on first boot that do things like configuring Chef, adding a secondary randomly-generated LUKS password for IT support to be able to boot it while diagnosing issues, setting up 802.1x certificates for VPN, Ethernet, and wifi, etc. They don’t officially support the KDE spin, but I have root access and can just install the KDE packages myself.

1 Like

That would probably be this one: Tree - fedora-kickstarts - Pagure.io

2 Likes

This is useful!! Thanks :slight_smile: