How can I install Fedora Gnome 38 @ Orange Pi 5B 16 GiB / 256 GB eMMC? :-)

Hello guys && @jerry05104! :slight_smile:
How can I install Fedora Gnome 38 @ Orange Pi 5B 16 GiB / 256 GB eMMC? :slight_smile:
I need full instruction.
I know many things about Fedora x86-64, know about Raspbian, but Fedora ARM64 is something new for me :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Simply download the fedora workstation image for aarch64 from

(You want the raw .xz file).
Once it has been downloaded and verified then write it to the sd card with the fedora arm-image-installer.

I use a command something like arm-image-installer --supported to identify the target board name to use for the install. There are several orangepi boards but I don’t know which would match the 5B version.

Then I use sudo arm-image-installer --image=<filename>.xz --media=/dev/sdX --resizefs --target=<boardname> -y to actually write the image to the card.

The media name is what your card is seen as when you connect it. Any file systems already on it that may auto-mount should be unmounted before writing to the card.
The image name is the actual name (including path if not in the current directory) of the file downloaded to be installed.
resizefs expands the file system for the root partition to fill the remaining space on the card.
Target specifies the selected boardname so the proper boot loader is installed.

The command arm-image-installer with no options or with --help will display the syntax and available options.

I think that on F38 the arm-image-installer package is installed by default.

I have no eMMC to USB adapter.
Should I buy it for useng with command --media=/dev/sdX?
Or how can I install Fedora Gnome 38 directly to the board with eMMC?
Instruction of GNU/Linux installation is located in OrangePi_5B_RK3588S_User Manual_v1.0.pdf - Google Drive (direct link is https://dragonserw.ru/_media/store:orangepi_5b_rk3588s_user_manual_v1.0.pdf).
Pages 47-59.
According to this instruction I have to use RKDevTool from {Orange Pi - Orangepi → Official Tools → Android image burning tool-RKDevTool and driver - Google Drive → RKDevTool_Release_v2.96.zip}.
Do I need {RKDevTool_Release_v2.96.zip}, is it mandatory?
And the 3-rd question is https://pagure.io/arm-image-installer/issue/101.

Yeah, I’ve been having the same problem. I did some investigation installed the arm-image-installer and ran the command cat /usr/share/doc/arm-image-installer/SUPPORTED-BOARDS

I didn’t see the Orange Pi 5B on the list. I would like to see it on the list in the future.

The List:

AllWinner Devices:
A10-OLinuXino-Lime
A10s-OLinuXino-M
A13-OLinuXino
A13-OLinuXinoM
A20-OLinuXino-Lime
A20-OLinuXino-Lime2
A20-OLinuXino-Lime2-eMMC
A20-OLinuXino_MICRO
A20-Olimex-SOM-EVB
Ampe_A76 Auxtek-T003
Auxtek-T004 Bananapi
Bananapi_M2_Ultra
Bananapi_m2m
Bananapro
CHIP
CSQ_CS908
Chuwi_V7_CW0825
Colombus
Cubieboard
Cubieboard2
Cubieboard4
Cubietruck
Cubietruck_plus
Hummingbird_A31
Hyundai_A7HD
Itead_Ibox_A20
Lamobo_R1
Linksprite_pcDuino
Linksprite_pcDuino3
Linksprite_pcDuino3_Nano
MK808C
MSI_Primo73
MSI_Primo81
Marsboard_A10
Mele_A1000
Mele_A1000G_quad
Mele_I7
Mele_M3
Mele_M5
Mele_M9
Mini-X
Orangepi
Orangepi_mini
Sinlinx_SinA31s
Sinovoip_BPI_M2_Plus
UTOO_P66
Wexler_TAB7200
Wits_Pro_A20_DKT
Yones_Toptech_BS1078_V2
ba10_tv_box
bananapi_m1_plus
bananapi_m2_berry
bananapi_m2_plus_h3
bananapi_m2_zero
colorfly_e708_q1
difrnce_dit4350
dserve_dsrv9703c
i12-tvbox
icnova-a20-swac
inet86dz
jesurun_q5
libretech_all_h3_cc_h2_plus
mk802
mk802_a10s
mk802ii
nanopi_m1
nanopi_m1_plus
nanopi_neo
nanopi_neo_air
orangepi_2
orangepi_lite
orangepi_one
orangepi_pc
orangepi_pc_plus
orangepi_plus
orangepi_plus2e
orangepi_r1
orangepi_zero
polaroid_mid2809pxe04
pov_protab2_ips9
q8_a13_tablet
q8_a23_tablet_800x480 q8_a33_tablet_1024x600
q8_a33_tablet_800x480
r7-tv-dongle
sunxi_Gemei_G9

AllWinner-A64 Devices:
a64-olinuxino
amarula_a64_relic
bananapi_m2_plus_h5
bananapi_m64
libretech_all_h3_cc_h5
nanopi_a64
nanopi_neo2
nanopi_neo_plus2
orangepi_lite2
orangepi_one_plus
orangepi_pc2
orangepi_prime
orangepi_win
orangepi_zero_plus
orangepi_zero_plus2
pine64-lts
pine64_plus
pine_h64
pinebook
sopine_baseboard

MX6 Devices:
cm_fx6
liteboard
marsboard
mx6cuboxi
novena
riotboard
udoo
udoo_neo
usbarmory
wandboard
warp
warp7

TI Devices:
am335x_evm
am57xx_evm
kc1 omap3_beagle
omap5_uevm
omap4_panda

Note: For the am33xx BeagleBone devices use ‘am335x_evm’, BeagleBone AI use ‘am57xx_evm’

MVEBU Devices:
clearfog
helios4

ST Devices:
stih410-b2260

Other Devices:
arndale
chiliboard
cl-som-am57x
rpi2
rpi3
rpi4
olpc_xo175

Pals, I extremely need Fedora 38 / 39 @ my Orange Pi 5B.
Because Armbian is buggy.

1 Like

I do not have an orangepi, mine is an rpi4.

However I need no special installation tools to install the fedora image onto the sd card for booting the Pi.
I download the arm image – raw xz – file then use fedora’s arm-image-intaller to write the image onto the sd card. Yes, I have a USB sd card dongle so the sd card can be read by my machine.

This method extracts the raw image from the xz file and writes the image in a ready-to-boot format onto the sd card.

The command arm-image-installer with no arguments, or with the -h- or –help` option provides a list of valid options to use.

The ones I use are --target, --image, --media, and --resizefs

Note that page 84 of the manual you linked as OrangePi_5B_RK3588S_User Manual_v1.0.pdf - Google Drive
specifically states it is supported on Debian 11, Ubuntu 20.04, and Ubuntu 22.04 all with Linux kernel 5.10. Fedora is using kernel 6.5.6 or higher at this time. Even the base Fedora 38 image has kernel 6.2.9. It seems likely that fedora does not have the required drivers to support that orangepi device.

What would be wrong with installing Ubuntu 22.04 on that device. I am using it and have for some time on an RPi4.

Hello guys!
I wish to install Fedora using arm-image-installer.
I created the question in pagure: Issue #101: Orange Pi 5B: what `--target=<boardname>` should I select? - arm-image-installer - Pagure.io.
Oh guys, I need help :slight_smile: