How can i increase battery life

Recently i have switched to fedora 40 beta which was fine but battery life was bad and too many issues with Bluetooth if i turn it on can’t be turned off and so on
And after xz vulnerability i just reinstalled ubuntu just for a change but don’t know why but my battery life increased which was measurable.
Doing same as usual in fedora but as i like fedora i just switch back to fedora silverblue 39 but now this is evident that ubuntu was superior in terms of battery but this should not be the case as both use same kernel source so i am curious if anyone can help me increase my battery life.
And ryzen 5500U fedora silverblue and ubintu 23.10

I would recommand tlp

TLP is a feature-rich command line utility for Linux, saving laptop battery power without the need to delve deeper into technical details.

TLP’s default settings are already optimized for battery life and implement Powertop’s recommendations out of the box. So you may just install and forget it.

Nevertheless TLP is highly customizable to fulfil your specific requirements.

tlp-rdw (Radio Device Wizard) helps manage wireless devices more effectively.

To install both packages:

rpm-ostree install tlp tlp-rdw

After installation, reboot and start TLP using:

sudo tlp start

TLP will then print which services need to be disabled or enabled to prevent conflicts.

1 Like

you can also already try tuned which will replace powerprofilesdaemon in the future.

1 Like

:100: :+1:t5: Top comment.

Added battery and removed beta, bluetooth

Added amd

The single biggest thing you can probably do is dim your screen to the lowest brightness you feel comfortable with when you’re on battery power.

I find the Power modes help somewhat as well in Gnome, but yes, Screen Brightness and potentially disable bluetooth if not needed.

Regarding power modes, a few years ago I wrote this hack to automate them and I use this on my laptop. It automatically puts in power saving mode when it’s on battery and ups the mode when charging or full.

1 Like

I believe my laptop already does this :thinking: or there’s a BIOS settings for it.

Thanks for the script !

Tlp also sets battery charge limit for supported laptops, e.g.