How can I get started with Blender Cycles/HIP Rendering?

It would be possible if blended makes a subprocess (ie, to ffmpeg) and the DRI_PRIME=1 isn’t being preserved in the subprocess call. Adding it to the desktop for for blender would probably help.

Okay, it turns out that the “Experimental” Feature Set option was a red herring. It doesn’t actually matter whether the “Supported” or “Experimental” Feature Set is used. It turns out that opening Edit > Preferences is what actually gets GPU rendering to work.

Corrected summary of how I got Blender Cycles to use my Radeon RX 5700 XT on Fedora:

1. Followed the instructions which were written by u/szooloo & repeated by @bhibb
  2. Followed @joni999’s extra steps
  3. For every new Blender session, before rendering with Cycles, opened Blender’s Preferences menu.

The Preferences menu does not need to remain open for this to work.

2 Likes

I can tell when GPU rendering isn’t going to work when I switch “Device” in a scene’s render settings to GPU Compute & the dropdown menu becomes greyed out. When this happens, I can open the Preferences menu to restore it to normal, allowing me to render with the GPU.

However, the greying out doesn’t always occur, and when the dropdown menu’s appearance remains normal after switching to “GPU Compute”, GPU rendering works immediately. In these cases, there is no need to open the Preferences menu.

Use this copr repo https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/cosmicfusion/ROCm-GFX8P/ , and do

sudo dnf install rocm-hip

Do a reboot to load libraries and profiles

And you should be able to render your GPU on the latest blender binary

3 Likes

Thank you! I just tried it out with blender and it works great (only short test in blender).

After uninstalling all the amdgpu junk and the other stuff from the rocm repo I did the steps in the copr repo and it worked instantly. (This could have saved me a lot of time/effort and will definitely save some in the future :smiley:)

3 Likes

I second that. Thank you for linking this; it’s so much simpler!

I see that the os copr are only for fc36 Any idea how it runs on 37? or if the hip will arrive with the 38?

You could test that for now:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/how-to-install-amd-drivers-on-fedora/5838/7

FYI I have rocm-hip in review for Fedora 38 if anyone is interested:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2209759

i try your repos , installing rocm-hip , etc , but blender still can’t see my 5700xt gpu , are those packages incomplete ?

maybe i need install another thing , but i have the impresion for what i read here , that i only need the hip things to work , rocminfo list the card as agent .

Thanks for the feedback. I haven’t tested blender yet, so I’ll need to try that out next. The packages are still somewhat experimental.

Please bare with me while I try to figure this out, but any feedback really does help!

There’s a few pieces I put in hip-devel and rocm-hip-devel, and you might be seeing failures if some files are mispackaged, so you can try installing those devel packages to see if it helps.

Also there’s a few annoying bugs that came up when i upgraded from 5.4 to 5.5, so look for a 5.5.1 update in the coming days.

1 Like

i have already install those packages , but not sure if are the correct one , thanks for the work anyway !!

here some pacakge info:

[root@fedora yum.repos.d]# dnf info hip-devel
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:24 ago on Sat 27 May 2023 02:54:01 PM AST.
Installed Packages
Name : hip-devel
Version : 5.5.0
Release : 1.fc38
Architecture : noarch
Size : 1.8 M
Source : rocclr-5.5.0-1.fc38.src.rpm
Repository : @System
From repo : copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:mystro256:rocm-hip
Summary : HIP API development package
URL : GitHub - ROCm-Developer-Tools/clr
License : MIT
Description : HIP is a C++ Runtime API and Kernel Language that allows developers to create
: portable applications for AMD and NVIDIA GPUs from the same source code.

Available Packages
Name : hip-devel
Version : 5.4.22804.50406
Release : 148.el9
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 217 k
Source : hip-devel-5.4.22804.50406-148.el9.src.rpm
Repository : rocm
Summary : HIP:Heterogenous-computing Interface for Portability
Description : HIP: Heterogenous-computing Interface for Portability [DEVELOPMENT]

[root@fedora yum.repos.d]# dnf info rocm-hip-devel
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:53 ago on Sat 27 May 2023 02:54:01 PM AST.
Installed Packages
Name : rocm-hip-devel
Version : 5.5.0
Release : 1.fc38
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 63 k
Source : rocclr-5.5.0-1.fc38.src.rpm
Repository : @System
From repo : copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:mystro256:rocm-hip
Summary : ROCm HIP development package
URL : GitHub - ROCm-Developer-Tools/clr
Description : AMD ROCm HIP development package.

if you need me to try/test something , let me know.

Ok, so I got blender to work! This build works fine for me (rocm-hip-5.5.1-4):
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mystro256/rocm-hip/build/5989231/

It should now work without the devel packages, as all you need to do is install rocm-hip and it will pull in all the required packages as needed.
I also tested blender’s benchmark and it performed as expected given my HW.

I hope this helps! I hope it’ll land in Fedora relatively soon, so you don’t need to use my copr.

hello jeremy , i was lurking the bug link:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2209759

when you add the commend " Jeremy Newton 2023-05-30 19:13:45 UTC " ( number 8 )

i remove everything using dnf and install again , not luck , now with this last update i did the same but not luck with blender , the version i am using is the flathub one , did you try with the oficinal fedora repository one ? ,

i check the lib too and look ok:

Screenshot from 2023-05-31 05-57-32

i remove the flat version of blender and install the fedora one , i restart but nothing really work , then i restart again and this time it work

blender can see my graphic card as option now , i will try later a render and report the result time , compare to windows accelerete render too.

thanks jeremy for all this work.