How can I change the login background?

Hi, everyone.
I’m just starting with fedora, and I would like to change the login background. Could you help me, please?

1 Like

It is described here: Change the desktop background

“1. Click Background to open the panel. The current selections for Background and Lock Screen are shown at the top.”
Those options don’t exist.

1 Like

Yes. In the last GNOME version, this option is no more available.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t cross check the information linked. I know I had used Settings before to set a different lock screen than user background. I guess they removed the option to be able to create the fancy login screen as it is today.

I did a quick search and found this extension:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1476/unlock-dialog-background/
(This is for the Unlock screen, not the login screen after you booted your machine)

From an end-user perspective, it seems weird that you need an extension for such basic setting…

Thanks, but I would like to change the login background.

For some stupid reason GDM makes this quite complicated.

There are instructions on the Arch Linux wiki you could try. I haven’t tested them myself.

3 Likes

go to login window option in menu

and also remember to place you wallpaper in the /usr/share/backgrounds folder otherwise it result in black background in login screen

Do you mean the login screen where you have the fedora logo on the bottom? If so:
gsettings set org.gnome.login-screen logo 'full-path-to-image'

default image is /usr/share/pixmaps/fedora-gdm-logo.png

Not sure if you are still looking to do this, but the method I used is found here: DebugPoint - How to Change Login Screen Background in Fedora Workstation. I used this method on a ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 running Fedora 35 with no issues.

Be aware that the small blue Fedora logo is still present (at the location mentioned in this thread by @tachi). I assume one could edit that .png file to be fully transparent and make it go away, but I cannot say if that would work, or if it is safe.

That’s the file with the login manager background:
/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

it points to this default image:
background=/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png

The simplest way I found was to just replace the default.png file
And I removed the xml file, it does some fancy animation and change the image based on time of the day but all I wanted was a simple static background. this is what I typed:

cd /usr/share/backgrounds/
sudo mv default.xml default.xml_bak
sudo mv default.png default.png_bak
sudo mv f36 f36_bak
sudo cp “your_image_path” /usr/share/backgrounds/default.png

logout and you’ll get an updated image

I seem to be a little late to the party by a few yrs.

It took longer to type the reply than complete the task at hand.

I’m too lazy to do all the steps bunker listed.

1. saved image I wanted to use *.jpg as default.png
  2. renamed / mv existing appending bak to the end
  3. mv my preferred and renamed image to /user/share/backgrounds

good to go

after doing this command ,everything are failed , any solutions ?