Hibernation: does it work for you?

See this thread on the Fedora devel list. Quoting Zbigniew:

We have had a long discussion about hibernate (suspend to disk) being unreliable. But there seems to be no hard data. Let’s gather some!

If you perform hibernation (systemctl hibernate, or the equivalent through the GUI), does your system suspend and resume correctly?

Note: I’m not talking about the user-space configuration issues (resume= not set on the kernel command line, no swap, swap encrypted with temporary keys, whatever), but only about any potential kernel driver issues.

Feel free to respond here, or in the devel list thread.

The obvious question is, “Does the installer create enough swap space for hibernate to disk to work?” My recollection is that it doesn’t - you have to specifically allocate enough swap.

I wrote some blog post related to hibernation
https://robbinespu.github.io/eng/2018/01/07/Fedora_hibernate.html and https://robbinespu.github.io/eng/2018/03/16/Setting_power_management_when_low_battery_on_Fedora.html

I also do notice sometimes failed to hibernate when low battery, I guest my battery are broken :thinking:

For me it was a feature that never worked until one day I correctly assigned the swap partition in a clean installation, so what @znmeb says makes all the sense in the world. I believe that improving that aspect will help to understand if there is a bad support with the real hardware of users that express that it doesn’t work, but maybe the problem is due to a bad configuration of swap partition.

Note: Hibernation works with swap file?, maybe fedora could move to this type of config…

Just tested on my T480s (Fedora Rawhide), it works just fine :wink:

Let me know if you would like to know more about my hardware / configuration.

No matter how much swap you have, the combination of swap in use + mem in use can exceed swap. So there is no “right” amount of swap for install to configure. But an amount equal to RAM would be reasonable. A decade ago, I would have said twice RAM - but with todays large RAM and cramped SSDs, that is somewhat excessive.

I generally configure the GUI to hibernate on low battery. Usually this works, when it doesn’t - oh well. Most of the time I use suspend, as it is much, much faster than hibernate. (And works regardless of swap.)

I have a fresh Fedora 29 Workstation install on a System76 Lemur. I did not place a resume= line in my efi boot. The system has 8GB swap and 16G RAM. The disk is whole-disk encrypted with LUKS. Running systemctl hibernate places the system in hibernation. The power light goes out. When I resume, everything is just where I left it. Any ideas where it places the hibernation file? Does it just find some free space somewhere and use it?

Hello all,
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s, with Fedora 29 KDE Spin. Suspend and Hibernate work seamlessly. Not one issue at all. My hardware is i7 4600U x 2.10GHz, 8GB RAM, some Intel GPU that I can’t recall, and 1920x1080 screen with touchscreen. It suspends and resumes without issues, the touchscreen keeps working and so does the touchpad. A couple of times that I had a mouse attached, it remained active while the rest was suspended but I think that’s an issue on the mouse’s side. Else works fine.
Thanks so much!

I was admittedly pretty scared to try it, but it actually worked perfectly here. Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM.