Hi! I just want (my laptop) to sleep (suspend)

Hi everyone! Early this month (precisely, 13 April) I switched to Fedora Workstation (39) using the Netinstaller for systemd-boot support. I have had a smooth sailing experience. I also upgraded to F40 on 20/21 April via Software, and everything was stable, and my laptop functioned as I expected it to.

This did not last long. Yesterday (28 April) I felt I was comfortable enough to switch to Fedora Silverblue, and while the installation process and configuration process went fairly smoothly, I discovered that my laptop could not suspend. After several hours of troubleshooting and pulling hair, I decided to give up and return to Fedora Workstation (39) using the same method as I did in early April: Netinstall with inst.sdboot, nearly identical BTRFS subvolume layout (/, /home, /.snapshots), then when it went up and running again I immediately tried to suspend both via lid, Gnome Quick Settings and via Terminal. This was on kernel 6.5.6-300, as I selected for the installer download the default packaged kernels to check if this issue was caused by new packages. After updating packages (incl. kernel to 6.8.7-200) and rebooting… suspend is still not working when the device is plugged in to AC via dock with an external monitor present - suspend when unplugged/running on battery via lid, Gnome Quick Settings and via Terminal works as expected.

The behavior suspending while plugged in: laptop goes into suspend very briefly (5-10 seconds), then wakes up immediately with 0 user involvement, even when ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth are disabled and wireless mouse turned off. Previously having network adapters turned on or wireless mouse turned on did not ever interrupt suspend.

My hardware setup is 100% identical, and my system setup is very nearly identical (though I am now on F39), down to the Gnome Extensions. I did not create a swap partition, as with my initial install where suspend worked - I also had done both installs in identical setup (laptop plugged into AC via dock with external monitor, keyboard and mouse present). Current kernel versions are the same, and on Wayland-only. Other utilities like tlp, throttled, python-validity are configured with the exact same methods and values and strings, following the devs’ recommended installation/post-installation steps. Power-related settings in Gnome Settings are also identical: Dim Screen enabled, Screen blank set to Never, Automatic Suspend enabled for both Battery (45 mins) and AC (90 mins). (By the way, Automatic Suspend on AC currently does not work either - the behavior is the same as I described above.)

Basically, I’m completely baffled to experience very different behaviors despite the identical installation process and setup of F39 with just three weeks difference. I’d really like to have suspend back working, and request the community’s kind inputs and assistance. I’ve looked around for similar issues, but most I’ve found are related to devices not waking up/sleep-freeze or anything else related to NVIDIA/AMD, which does not apply to my case, hence me coming here for help haha.

Here is my inxi -Faz output and one of the sleep logs (with some debug entries related to python-validity omitted as it is taking a lot of space - this has always been the case across multiple systems and not of importance). I will gladly provide relevant information or more logs if needed. All it takes to get my laptop some sleep…

Okay, might have solved it. cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep enabled and identified that XHC was in the results, then echo XHC > /proc/acpi/wakeup so that it is disabled. Afterwards my laptop could magically and successfully suspend, no more immediate wake-ups. I have no idea what caused it to behave like this when it has never been a problem in my previous F39 install as well as other Linux installs.