Help and Guidance for a new person to Open Source projects and QA

Hello yall

I’m pretty new around here and new to doing this kinda stuff. All the pages, wikis and docs has me a little lost on how things work and how I can best help out. It would be awesome if someone could give me a little direction or a little orientation lol. We could do a voice or video call, maybe you have a youtube video that can get me pointed in the right direction?

I’m down to listen, learn and help out.
Thanks yall!

@sumantrom is the best guy for this. But also: don’t worry about the volume of information. We try to explain everything, and everything is a lot. :smiley: You’re doing fine already. Just pick one thing at a time to do and focus on the steps for that. Like, testing the anaconda update today was great, you did that just fine. You don’t need to try and learn about and do everything all at once, taking it slowly is fine. Test a few updates. In a week or two, we’ll start doing candidate composes for Final, and I’ll post announcements here and on the mailing list which will have links to testing instructions, and you can try that process out too.

2 Likes

OK cool and yeah taking it slow is probably the best bet. I tend to try and learn everything I can when starting something new lol. I’ll just go with the flow for now.

Edit: Do you know of a good resource to learn beginner QA concepts and terminology? Not just specific to fedora but just in general.

The first step is to gain confidence in you ability to use and manage linux systems. Part of the challenge is locating reliable sources of information. The internet is filling up with clickbait sites generated using AI, but part of the success of linux is that basic principles have proven sound over decades. Early Unix History and Evolution (1979) is still worth reading. Linux started as a command-line only system, and the command-line is still vital to understanding and fixing problems. A good reference with a long history and translations is Linux Command.

The next step is to find places where you can contribute improvements. Participation in this and similar forums will give you insights into QA issues and user behaviours. My experience has been that you will begin to recognize troublesome areas and ideas of how things could be improved will pop into your head. Then you have to into the details of current implementations. Often there are some good reasons your initial ideas for improvement aren’t practical, so you will need to revise your ideas or learn some new techniques.

My father was an applied mathematician. He told me that science is driven by big ideas that then require decades of hard work to fully realize, and maths problems needed solving. He found it interesting to learn about the current “big idea” and (with the help of a group of mathematicians with diverse areas of expertise he had assembled) apply a bit of mathemagic to overcome a blocking problem and then move on to the next “big idea”. This is a valuable pattern – develop expertise in an some fundamental subject area with wide application and cultivate connections with other experts who share your interests, then pitch in when you see a way to move past a blocking issue.

2 Likes

Oh Absolutely, it feels like as soon as you move past the very basics of using the terminal the quality of documentation and tutorials drops and asking copilet is no help… I wanted to take the RHCSA class and exam the Red Hat site suggested to me after taking this quiz but OMG :exploding_head: It’s so insanely expensive!!! $4250 for just the class and with the class and exam bundled its $4512.50. It seems like a great course and the cert looks like it worth having but aint no way I can ever afford that! lmao

I’ve just been trial and erroring my way around, trying to use Linux to solve problems in my life (even making problems to solve lol) and learning by piecing things together for different source documentation. I wanted to I’m gonna look through the resources you posted. Thank you!

Some projects I have planned are hosting my own Bitwarden server its got bumped to the top of the list with the XZ backdoor. I wanna do Linux from scratch and mess around with trying to make a Gnome app and then in future try this out Build an 8-bit computer from scratch

Yup already ahead of you, as soon as I joined the community I made my way into the QA group and have done a bit of testing.