Hello from Cambridge. FC39 root on zfs using zfsbootmenu

Retired standards engineer. I distro-hop quite a lot, mainly for fun. My desktop is running FC39 root on zfs, boot using zfsmenu, 6.7 kernel. My main “go-to” distro is debian12, but I’ve also used Kubuntu, Neon, Arch, Manjaro.

I played with nixos, and might play with an atomic spin, although I expect it won’t be able to support zfs.
----------------- tldr
How did I build the system? In a VM, I installed FC39. Then I installed the zfs dkms module, and created a pool on a separate virtual disk. Then I copied everything to a new root mountpoint on the pool. Chroot there, adjust fstab, build initramfs. Mount a virtual disk containing just an efi partition with zfsbootmenu into the VM, boot of that, and then the zfs version of fc39.

In the host system ssh into the vm, and do a zfs send | recv to copy the dataset to the host.
Mount and chroot into it. Replace the zfs zpool.cache with the new pool’s and recreate initramfs.
Adjust mountpoint of the new dataset to /, non-auto.

Reboot the host using zfsbootmenu and select the new dataset. Should boot OK.

4 Likes

Welcome!

That is fairly similar to how I get a zfs on root install with Fedora.

Install it in a VM, copy the data to a zfs pool, send/receive the datasets to a remote pool on a physical machine.

A maybe simpler method could be to use the netinstall iso image and do the online install there. It allows the user to select software, file systems, etc. to their hearts content during the setup process before the installation actually starts. Thus everything is already done for the user instead of the process you describe which may be very difficult for a newbie to follow.

Glad to see that you were able to do the procedure and to succeed. We appreciate the sharing.
:+1:

I agree this is not something you can do without some familiarity with the command-line. From my perspective I like to use the graphical installer because it sets up stuff that I don’t necessarily know about, reducing my learning-curve. I start with an absolutely stock install, add the apps I want (mainly flatpak). Then I enter territory I am familiar with in the transfer to the host system.

I’m glad to see that Ardour and Audacity work using the Jack interface on pipewire out of the box in Fedora. They don’t in debian 12, which was one reason I wanted to try Fedora.

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff V.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, nice to hear about your experience with PipeWire and JACK in Fedora.

I’m a newbie user of Ardour that runs without any configuration at all. Just so you know Fedora has a new special interest group - Music & Audio if you’re interested. Chat with us on Matrix room (#music-audio@fedora.im).

I live in Surrey and go to Cambridge quite often. Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thank you Hank. I use Ardour for mixing multiple headsets on one machine to watch Dancing on Ice with my wife (locally) and daughter (in the USA) via jitsi. I used to do this on Windows using Voicemeeter Banana, and it took me way too long to realise Ardour would do it.
I use Audacity to edit narration, as I read for Librivox.org.
Thanks for the welcome. I’ll check out that group.

2 Likes