HDMI out to external display not working (ThinkPad X1)

Simply not working. Steps taken to troubleshoot:

• Tapped F7 to check display orientation is OK
  • Verified cable and monitor work with another machine
  • Run sudo dnf update
  • Tried various combos of plugging/unplugging/rebooting

See attached neofetch for specs

·

Welcome to Fedora @horseman

Your neofetch not says a lot about your connection, if you have a direct one or if you are using a docking station in between?
You have to check the resolution and the frequency. You monitor might not support something of it.

What about a driver problem?

I got this error today while try to update my F37, i also use Intel GPU but jut older one:

Problem 1: cannot install the best update candidate for package mesa-va-drivers-freeworld-22.3.7-1.fc37.x86_64
  - nothing provides mesa-filesystem(x86-64) >= 23.0.1 needed by mesa-va-drivers-freeworld-23.0.1-1.fc37.x86_64
 Problem 2: cannot install the best update candidate for package mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld-22.3.7-1.fc37.x86_64
  - nothing provides mesa-filesystem(x86-64) >= 23.0.1 needed by mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld-23.0.1-1.fc37.x86_64
1 Like

It turns out I had an HDMI switcher that I’d completely forgotton about between the Thinkpad and the monitor… Removing it seems to resolve my issue.

However I would like to use the HDMI switcher. Is this a Linux thing or a Thinkpad thing? (I’ve been using the switcher between a MacBook Pro and a Nintendo Switch for years without issue.)